Do you think a health app can help you manage you diabetes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is there anyone who uses the Apple Health Records app to manage their diabetes? If you're an Android user, would you be interested in getting the same service? I'm not selling anything, I'm a freelance journalist and I'd like to get patient experience, people who are interested in getting their health records on their phones and how it has changed their lives or at least in some capacities.

Thank you,

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't, I keep my records with pen and paper, and my BP monitor keeps a record, too, but so far mine have been incompatible with my endocrinologist's readers, LOL.

In principle I think keeping records online is extremely promising and will become standard in a few years and we'll look back to "the old days" with the kind of horror we now have for medicine in the 19th century, or 9th century.

But it's also going to take a lot of getting used to, by patients, system builders, doctors and other medical staff, insurers, etc.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing! May I ask you if you have an iPhone or an Android?

• Posted

Thank you! Do you think that you use a pen and paper because there is a lack of trustful and useful apps or do you think it's a choice?

• Posted

Do you think that you use a pen and paper because there is a lack

of trustful and useful apps or do you think it's a choice?

I'm of a certain age so don't feel compelled to put my whole life into my phone just because! What would it need to capture? BG readings, sure. There are bluetooth meters now and they come with apps - though even the cheapest meters have their own memory and even graphs!

They should capture meals and activity and other drugs and random notes and comments, illness, even stress. And then what? Well, I have most of that on paper (not every meal item). I don't know how many people want to record all that.

But really, for many medical conditions, such logging is in theory desirable. But I'll tell you this, doctors aren't really trained to look for this information, or to listen to it, or to do anything useful with it. It's not what they do. So some kind of intermediary, human or robot, is needed.

I see there are a number of "diabetes management" companies starting up to do just that kind of thing, under the heading of "wellness", with apps and online services and even human operators to talk to. I think this is very promising, but I also see that so far, the results have been underwhelming.

There are also issues of "trust" as you mention.

Until and unless the doctors really buy into this, I think the apps are a bit redundant, more about training patients than actually doing anything that a paper log isn't just as good at.

• Posted

I am a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic with instructions to lose weight, do more exercise and reduce carbs. I have web membership to a diet and exercise measuring device, which also offers a free app download with the online membership. The online information has greatly helped me monitor my condition and follow my GP instructions. But I can't make use of an app as there is no cell reception in my village even for those people who bought boosters. So, I do not even have smart phone - no point!

Then I hear supermarkets plan to go till free and do everything on your phone with little regard for the hundreds of thousands in the same position as all people in my village and other remote areas. It's the same with all the added internet and banking security requiring text messages to be sent to phones for verification. So you can't buy online in your own home! So yes I would be interested, if I had a phone that worked where I live!

• Posted

Wow interesting! Thank you for sharing! Where is your village? (or which state/county—I would understand if you don't want to give the name on a public forum).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.