Do you think age has much to do with how one heals?de

Posted , 16 users are following.

just wondered if anyone feels that age contributes to the healing process. I have noticed that so many of you on the forum are pretty young. 50-60's. I am 71 and find that even though I have done well(read previous entries) I find that at 4 months, I still tire a lot . 

Any one else around my age? Would love to hear ur experiences.

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 73  Damy (don't look it and certainly don't feel it); my daughter,  who is a Nurse Practitioner,  says" Mother, it is going to take you longer to heal, because you are older."  So, I guess that's that!😳
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, Mary,

i too, am told by many that I do not look or act my age. Lol, I'm immature!!😀

Actually, I will be 72 this coming week! I will take your daughters word for it, it really does make sense. I feel at lot different than I did at 58 or even 68. It's really just the knee issues that have slowed me down. It's more difficult to do as much as one did, before the k eyes had become bone on bone. In any case, thanks for the in put.

Damy(Donna)

• Posted

Hi Damy.  I'm almost 4 months out as well.  I'm a 46 year old female who has always been very active.  I went back to work at 6 weeks but am still sore at the end of the day & swollen.  My bend has been stuck at 90 degrees since 6 or 7 weeks post op & I go in on Thursday for MUA.  My dad had a TKR a couple years ago when he was 72 and breezed right through it!  I think everyone heals differently & I think this surgery just takes time and patience.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Shannon,

interesting what you have experienced. So sorry that you have to go thru a mua!! Wishing u much luck. I think ur rift, we r all so different and heal and experience pain differently.

you are so young to have had this surgery, but I see ur not alone, from what I read on this forum.

let us know how u make out.

Damy😊

• Posted

Snap! My Dad had two knees replaced in his late 70's, then two hips and finally an ankle replacement at 81 and he breezed through the lot-hardly any pain killers and three weeks after each TKR walking around like nothing had been done! He had no swelling, and took just a few paracetamol. In total contrast to him, I 
    • Posted

......was 57 with the first TKR and now 59 with the second and have suffered from swelling with both, pain requiring large doses of pain killers coupled with a lot of work to get the first knee to bend etc and at least 6/7months to realise that it was OK and probably a year to forget about the leg having a knee replacement, although I was reminded every time I tried to get up off of the floor! I felt a complete failure and my dear old Mum thought  and probably still thinks that I make a fuss about nothing, bless her! Anyway, I did ask my consultant about why a younger person recovers much slower than an older person and he said it's because younger folks try to do too much! Anyway, I've spoken to many TKR recipients since and it seems to me that the recovery etc varies from each individual and also each knee seems tore act differently too!! Basically I haven't managed to get an answer! I'm more hopeful with this latest knee despite the swelling as it did bend more after the op and feels a lot more comfortable in general, although that could be the pills!💊
    • Posted

Ur fathers recoveries sound amazing!! ??

so glad to hear that this time around u seem to be doing quite well.

thanks for ur input, I have to conclude, that as u say, we r all different. We must respect ourselves. No one knows their own body like themselves. Some of us r very sensitive to pain, more aware of every little thing that goes on in our bodies. I, in particular, am very sensitive to meds. I cannot tolerate most .

i think my tiredness has stemmed from taking Aleve regularly. Even though I sleep well when taking it, I am stopping it for the time being. Take care and keep in touch.

• Posted

Thank you and will keep in touch as I find this forum so helpful and a real comfort blanket because as much as family members, friends etc try to understand what having a knee replacement involves they don't really "get it" and expect you to be leaping about like a two year old after a couple of weeks!!🏃
    • Posted

I agree Glenda, I'm 6 weeks post op now and my kids (25, 23,21) think I should be back to normal now, doing everything, dosen't matter I'm not sleeping (told that improves after 12 weeks! I hope so) doesn't matter I get sore and stiff mum should be doing everything! Husband is still brilliant when he gets home from work. This forum has been very good thank you everyone
    • Posted

Friends and family can be you biggest allies when it comes to providing comfort and assistance immedately after the surgery......by the same token, they can be the biggest downers when it comes to the long term as they think this is like having a bad tooth extracted or a tonsilectomy. They hear the the stories of miraculous recovery....marathons almost before the stitches have been removed. Mountain climbing at 6 weeks. Etc. One thing that can bring them back to reality.....have them go to utube and have them watch the surgery....most won't be able to handle the entire thing. Don't waste you time and energy trying 4th I change their minds......just stay with people that have been through it and are working there way back
    • Posted

Thank you, my husband has been brilliant but the grown up kids are behaving a bit like small children again. I am just going to take my time an if it doesn't suit them...too bad. Youngest one yeasterday said you are 6 weeks now mum you can drive again can you ... and are you going back to work today. I was not a happy person. I am so glad i found this forum, just sorry didnt before surgery. People on here are so helpful especially you. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Damy, I am enclinded to agree with you. I am 52 had my op on the 8th April, staples removed 22nd and now walking unaided. It does swell and I still need the ice packs, however going to try driving next week with a view to returning to work about the 9th May. 

I do get tired, however this is due to not sleeping that well. Hopefully returning to work will make me tired and I may sleep better.

i wish you well with your recovery, and remember do exercise and sleep when tired x

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I'm 50 and 6 weeks post op and am recovering well with good movement but not going back to work till 12 weeks post op, how are you going to manage at 4 weeks post op? I get very tired, don't sleep due to being uncomfortable but told that improves aft. xer 12 weeks.  On the up side so glad I got this done. best wishes for continuing recovery
  • Posted

My ex-mother in law is in her 80's. She is like a spring chicken. No setbacks. The occasional ache in the very cold (Waterloo, ONT), I would say that various other friends mothers of similar age have also recovered, bar a few.

Don't forget, you will not read about the success stories on a pain forum!

• Posted

I agree there.  Happy successful people are going to be out doing, not venting.
    • Posted

Over the years I have had long conversations with consultants with regard to TKR's. The general consensus is they operate differently on older people, there is a tendency of making the knee stiffer/less flexible as they (the older young'uns) are not going to be as spritely as the youner patients.
    • Posted

After watching all the young ones at physical therapy, I reiterated to my therapist that I am not interested in becoming a triathlete, I just want to be able to walk normally again.  PT IS STILL GRUELING.
    • Posted

You may not want to run the next marathon, but getting your muscles working to their full potential is still vital.  Your knees are joints that support the whole weight of your body.  The last thing you need is for them to give way whilst walking down stairs. If the PT's don't push you will slacken + it is only for a limited time.  It would be a shame if you went through the pain and agony of the operation only to give up on the home run. Get working on those muscles (ligaments and tendons as well).  Summer is on its way, time to flash the flesh rolleyes
    • Posted

😘Thank you.  

We are going to Ireland for 16 days in June so I had better get cracking, right!

• Posted

That sounds wonderful.  That is exactly the excuse you need to take your time. Buy a sheleighleigh (had to look up the spelling) and enjoy life.  Even if you are staying in the city, there is so much to see, you just have to go slow, otherwise you'll miss bits, specially if you want to line up that perfect shot with your camera.  Guiness is full of iron, drink lots and enjoy

In the meantime, gentle flexing and holding your thigh muscles will do the trick (you can do this ad infinitum) if it is too painful to walk, you may feel a pain across your knee, but it is bearable, just keep holding, eventually you will be able to feel the other muscles, ligaments behind the knee and the main tendon come into play.  You can do these anywhere and other people are none the wiser

• Posted

Today is an off PT day and I tend to relax and treat myself. But reading this made me starting flexing and holding  immediately.  👍👍👍

Thanks. This forum is perfect. Encouragement and empathy....just the right combo.   

• Posted

It is the end of a long week and am slowly going backward (through messages) flex whilst relaxing x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.