Do you think age has much to do with how one heals?de

Posted , 16 users are following.

just wondered if anyone feels that age contributes to the healing process. I have noticed that so many of you on the forum are pretty young. 50-60's. I am 71 and find that even though I have done well(read previous entries) I find that at 4 months, I still tire a lot . 

Any one else around my age? Would love to hear ur experiences.

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting topic!

I think the healing process varies greatly from person to person. There are probably many factors involved.

My mother passed away in her sleep just 25 days shy of 101. She took no medication, and she was a card-carrying member of the CAKE AND COOKIES CLUB her entire life! She was rarely sick and was still teaching Sunday School and delivering Meals on Wheels to " the old people" when she was 93. (Most of her deliveries were made to people in their seventies and eighties.) She healed very quickly her entire life.

No doubt genetics played a big part. She also was quite stubborn. She would rarely sleep more than three or four hours a night because "There's too much to do/ read/ etc. to waste time sleeping!"

I think there are many factors associated with healing. For me, I heal well probably due to genetics but also because I have been healthy, have eaten well, and have always hydrated my body.

My mother HATED drinking water but filled up on a "nice cup of tea" with her cookies, candy, or cake. She did MANY things wrong when it came to "keeping healthy", but that didn't seem to affect her!

When I complained to her doctor that I just couldn't get her to eat well (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.), her doctor said," Let her eat what she wants!"

True story.

• Posted

I'm 68 years of age and the last 11 weeks have been pure torture. There have been very little good days or nights.

I went in for the op like a lamb to slaughter- I foolishly though all would be well at the most 6 weeks. How wrong can a person be? Major surgery people say all the time. What did you expect. I remember my grandmother in the fifties having problems with her varicose veins and she must have been about 70 but they said that she was too old for any surgery. How times have changed?

I can only go on an appendix operation when I was in my early twenties and of course having children, but both pains were short and healing progressed naturally, not like this where I cannot get the measure of it at all.

I'm 11 weeks post op and it's been backwards and forwards as regards healing.

In my wildest moments when the pain gets ridiculous

I begin to wonder is it some form of population control? Am I being secretly killed off.

Then I access this forum and chat to some wonderful people like yourself who help me to realise that I will recover eventually and be able to put all this behind me.

• Posted

Oh please don't tell me this. I am 5 weeks and at 11 weeks I have to be walking all over Ireland😱😱😱😱😱😱
    • Posted

Oh Mary, 

please realize that it does get better. !!!! I am SOOO sorry that this has been so difficult for you. But at least u have sense of humor, u had me chuckling . By 11- 12 weeks I was was beginning to see the light. I am wondering why u have suffered w/ so much pain. Haven't u been on pain killers? 

I am At 4 months now, actually , almost 5. Is. Doing quite well.havent taken any meds in a long time.it still gets stiff and aches sometimes, but that is all bearable . I am back to my normal life, but am careful to not over do it and rest when needed. I do get tired.

please have hope and let me know on more detail what is going on for you.

😀

• Posted

Good luck, do t over do it😬😀
  • Posted

Hi Damy I'm 78 and had TKR 8 days ago. Biggest prob for me so far has been upset bowels swinging from constipation to diarrhoea. I'm sure it's the med and due to change to paracetamol tomorrow. Usually up 3-4 times a night anyway so the discomfort after laying on leg for an hour or two is manageable. Had one physio so far second tomorrow. Stitches (staples) are dry and due out end next week. Slight red spot round one stitch. Will keep you posted.
    • Posted

Yes the pain meds wreak havoc w/the bowels. I stayed on them for 4 weeks while taking the stool softener , as well. I was fortunate to get off of the narcotics, codein, by 4 weeks. I did not have staples, just steri tape. Wound was nice and dry and no oozing . 8 days is still the very early ones, take good care of URSELF. Let us know what concerns u may have.

i am in the states .😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.