Do you think I need treatment?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am a new member on this site and would like to tell me anxiety story, and also ask a few questions to those who have been diagnosed and who are receiving treatment.

First of all, I am an 18 year old male from the UK, and I am currently at school studying A-Levels. I am a very nervous and reserved person, and generally I do lack confidence in myself. In my opinion, I suffer from relatively bad anxiety. There are many occasions when I feel anxious, and my heart will race and I can hardly speak at all. I get a lump in my throat and I actually have to take a few deep breaths to calm myself down. As you can imagine, this can be very embarrassing as I always feel like the person I'm talking to thinks I'm crazy.

When I meet new people, my mind goes blank and I can't think of anything to say. This has led to a lot of social problems, as I find it difficult to make new friends. It is especially bad when I am in a group. My personality changes so much, and I am no fun at all. Also, I get butterfies in my stomach and I can even seem hostile. I don't mean to come across like this but my emotions just go neutral and I am constantly evaluating everything I do to make sure I don't make a fool of myself. I won't join in any games or activities as I feel I am tied down, and I can't just leave if it gets too much. This isn't the case with close friends or family, as I am very bubbly and even loud and vivacious, so my family don't understand how I feel as they only see this side of me.

I also get very anxious whenever I speak to the doctor on the phone or in person. (This is just one example as it happened to me quite recently.) I phoned the doctor to try and get medication for my migraines, and my heart was racing. I felt as though it was going to thump out of my chest. I couldn't breath properly, and I had to take a deep breath. I also have to go out the room so no one can hear me and I end up not being able to remember what the doctor has said because I'm so anxious. Sometimes, I even say yes to questions when that's not the answer. This doesn't just happen with the doctor, it also happens with teachers, and it causes a lot of problems down the line. I say yes to things they ask me to do because I'm so anxious I don't know what I'm saying. Then, when the time comes and I don't want to do it, e.g. going on a trip or helping out after school, I can't get out of it. Anyway, back to the doctor story. The doctor asked me to come in so he could ask me a few questions about my migraines, and whilst I was sitting in the waiting room, I felt like running out. I felt like I was having a panic attack. In the end, I felt like just saying 'I know I'm here about migraines but I need to sort this anxiety out', but I never because I don't think he'd take it seriously.

I sometimes can't buy things in shops, and so I have to ask my friend to get it for me. I can't speak to teachers without my heart pounding. I feel like I have no control over my life because of this anxiety, but my family don't see it because I'm fine at home. Right now, as I write this, I feel very relaxed but that's because I'm on my own. Throughout my life, I've missed out on so many things because I've ostracised myself from other people.

I also have periods when I feel very down, and I can't think of anything that would chear me up. It may last for a day or so, and then I'll be fine again. This generally only occurs at home when I have time to think, and I'm not trying to control my anxiety. I have been the doctors before as I thought I may have depression, but he just said I needed to get a hobby. Depression does run in my family - my grandad suffered from it for years and was put on fluoxetine. Saying all this, I am generally a happy person - I can laugh and joke with friends and family, and I can enjoy myself. I don't feel down all of the time though.

Next week, I am going to Cambridge for two weeks with people from all over the world to do a leadership course. This will involve group activities and we have to speak in front of out peers, and even pitch in front of established businessmen at the end of the course. I am so nervous about going. I feel like dropping out, but I know it is a great opportunity and one that will look great on my personal statement for uni. I think it is going to be very difficult for me in university too, and I don't know how I'm going to survive.

I was given Propranolol for my migraines - 40mg twice a day, and I have heard this is good for anxiety, but I still want to speak to the doctor as this is a seperate issue.

Anyway, I'm so sorry for waffling but this has been a long time coming. Has anyone else had experiences similar to mine? Do you think I should go to my doctor about this, and what should I do if he doesn't take me seriously? What treatment have you had and how did you find it (medications mainly including side effects and benefits)? During the times when I'm around family and close friends for a long time, I start to doubt if there is anything actually wrong. Has anyone else ever felt like this? Basically, I just need some advice. Thanks so much for reading through this huge, waffling post, I really appreciate it. Thanks so much,

Abubble14

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi abubble14 I started of with migraines and I was scared to speak to the doctor about it I had all same symptoms I'm having symptoms as we speak. It ruined my life the first time around I tried alsorts because I was scared to go docs meditation music loads in the end I went the doctors and he gave me beta blockers they helped. Regards to doing activities it helps to take ur mind of things n u relax more while doing it. The more things u do to occupy ur mind helps u to forget coz ur not thinking about it. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I've heard lots of people have had success with beta blockers. Thanks,

Abubble14

• Posted

Yes I would say speak to your doctor about some anxiety treatment,, your symptoms are very descriptive of anxiety. Treatment need not be medication, therapy I think would be better for you. Don't worry too much, therapy really does work
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your reply. It's nice to know that someone else understands that this isn't normal. There are times when I doubt myself and think it's all in my head. I've never really thought about therapy to be honest. Thanks,

Abubble14

• Posted

It k and to be honest it is mostly in your own head making it worse because your constantly thinking about it so your causing it more tis is still my problem 

• Posted

What I mean is sometimes, when I'm not anxious, like now sitting at my desk on my own, I doubt whether there is anything wrong with me. It's only when I'm in a situation that induces anxiety that I realise again that there is something wrong.
    • Posted

Its a hard thing to deal with, therapy is safer and just as or more effective than medication. Hang in there and speak to your gp
    • Posted

When I'm doing something that helps me relax ie socializing or an activity that needs me concentrate I'm fine it's when my mind isn't active I start to think just keep reminding yourself that there isn't anything wrong. Like I was told be a doctor once it extremely unlikely for anything bad be wrong with me because I'm always at the docs getting checked. It can get as bad for me when I get I'll I think is there something serious and anxiety kicks in and I panic more . So go docs have a serious chat be honest about everything it does help getting everything off your chest.
    • Posted

Hi guys... i have the health anxiety thing I think...Can't help thinking there's something seriously wrong.  But started cos there were symptoms of stuff so I Googled and obviously u find the worst which then plays on ur mind! I hate it in a way tho cos all doctors seem to want to do is give u anti anxiety pills and i'm petrified that I'll read and miss something awful...god knows why I never used to be like it? Do u get any of this Martin?

Also! back to the original post! CBT might be feed by your doctor..they are quite good and might help u cos it's sometimes a group session so u might be able to practice talking in front of people who also suffer from soctal anxiety so will understand smile I think what u feel is normal..Other people will feel like that talking in front of crowds for example or even a few people...u just get it a bit more smile try n remember u have just as much right to be talking/putting your bit in as everyone else and the best thing is that your putting yourself outthere and still getting on with everything smile 

• Posted

Hi I can relate to a lot of what you have said. I go through times where I struggle and then afterwards I wonder what all the fuss was about and as you say, if there really is anything wrong. I have propranolol too which is a beta blocker. I take 40mg 3 times a day it has really helped me but it will not take away the worry or fear. The best treatment is cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) your doctor can refer you. This will help change the way you think and give you coping mechanisms for when you're facing tough times xx 
  • Posted

Alright Bubble,

Firstly well done on your post,well-written,no spelling errors etc,I'm not a teacher just a 64yr old guy who values good writing,and who knows a little about the sort of problems you are having right now.

I,besides having suffered some of the experiences you've had,have also gone completely extrovert and arrogant,a good way to lose friends and family.I also become very impulsive and buy things I don't need and regret it later.Two years ago I got into dating sites and actually set up meetings with women,that's OK you may say,unfortunately my wife found out,I really didn't know what the hell I was doing,you see my dad had just died and I was in shock I think,it was an awful time and events sent me over the top.

And there are times when I,like you go introvert and defensive,and at times very angry,but that is the nature of the beast,anxiety brings with it a multitude of sins,and some of us cannot cope without help,whether that be therapy or medication,I do not rate Propanolol,it did nothing for me,but has helped others.

I take 600mg Pregabilin per day,it is good,but takes some getting used to,and after having had both knees replaced recently I have begun cycling,walking and meditations,anything to keep my mind occupied,remember the old adage,'The devil makes use of idle hands',(or something like that).

My doctor was helpful,but I have undergone psychiatric assessments and CBT,neither of which has really helped,but yes I think you should tell your doctor about it,there is no shame in it,and who knows with the right treatment your quality of life could improve dramatically.

I now firmly believe I will have my problems for the duration of my life,they are always there,age makes no difference,it is now 55 years ago when I first started with this,there have been highs and lows,you can at your age get the right treatment nowadays,go for it,get your life back on track,I sincerely wish you all the very best,and I hope you find no spelling mistakes in this.

Regards Malc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.