Do you think my ankle is nonaligned?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I fractured my ankle about 6 weeks ago. No surgery was done. My doc and ortho said that the ankle is stable and aligned.

But here's an x-ray taken of the ankle taken three days ago. For me it somehow does not look "right". What do you think?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow you are misinformed about the fibula. It’s important for stability and yours is not healed. While it takes longer for the thin line to completely disappear (called interval healing- takes about 12 full weeks for that thin line to disappear) yours is not aligned.  The reason they often plate the fibula is because you need a stable fibula for balance and stability.  I wish I could upload my X-rays to show you what I mean.
    • Posted

I don't think so. I agree that there is a reason one is there (evolution) and it does serve a purpose (small amount of weight bearing and some stability) , but like I said it isn't a necessity like it is for some animals. I know personally since I don't have a connecting fibula and haven't had one for 20 years in my left leg. My stability is just fine and didn't prevent me from any activity I wanted to undertake (dance, running etc). It was my ankle arthritis that eventually put paid to my aspirations as a dancer not a lack of fibula.

• Posted

Do you see a great potential for arthritis in my case?
    • Posted

Any damage to cartilaginous tissue leads to arthritis. In your case it's so small a break that you likely won't get it before your too old to care. Weighing up time pros and cons based purely on your x rays I would say surgery is v likely overkill. However knowing how debilitating arthritis is, I would definitely get another opinion from a trained pro and not put too much stock in well intentioned people off the net. I know quite a lot about this but you can't beat multiple opinions of trained professionals. Get another just to be sure and if they're all in agreement then go with that.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks again for your response.

It seems that you think surgery is not needed but if I remember correctly you previously said that unless my ankle is fixed then I will have arthritis problems. Can you elaborate?

But I will seek another orthopedist opinion. I already booked a meeting for next Monday.

• Posted

I think you need to get another opinion.

I am not a trained doctor. I have my experience but my experience is not yours. If more than 3 doctors tell me the same thing then I'm inclined to go with their advice. I know you're concerned, I would be too. But coming here to get accurate advice is always going to be dicey. My experience is not yours. However physics is physics. If you've already damaged a cartiliginous joint then it doesn't improve over time. I sense your worried and that's normal but after a third professional opinion I'd be inclined to go with that..

• Posted

Yes I think you are right.

Btw, I asked from my ortho that how likely will I have an arthritis. He said that the likelihood is there, but it is not very big.

• Posted

In a time when surgeons literally operate to enrich themselves and you are fortunate enough to be told you don’t need surgery and you keep asking for a reason to have it? Are you some masochist? The surgery and recovery are some of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to deal with in my lifetime and I tried to find every reason not to have it when three orthos recommended it and I had no choice. Now I have an ankle that swells daily, another surgery then possibly another in a year to have the plate removed... I hope you don’t find a Dr willing go beyond ethics and do something that is the most intrusive act you can do to your body. I sincerely hope you do not keep seeking ways to justify getting cut into and heal naturally as when get old we all get arthritis naturally as well... good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. Of course I don't want a surgery. I was relieved when the doc told me that surgery is not likely needed. 

BUT, if the end result is better with the surgery then I would go for it. Surgery is  sometimes better of two evils. I just want to know if I would end up worse if my ankle is not operated.

• Posted

And by they way, do you think your ankle would be better today without the surgery?

You know, doctors do make mistakes and having another opinion will be a bad thing.

• Posted

I didn’t have a choice. Although your x Ray shows what may be some slight displacement... mine had multiple fractures which would have technically healed without surgery but because I displaced the one side badly that there was tendon damage so a big screw has been placed across and is being removed in two weeks which I’ve been not weight bearing for already two and half months and pray I haven’t broken the big screw as have had to put weight on it more than a few times including finding myself sleep walking to go to the bathroom as I’m single... again and cannot reiterate enough... if more than one ortho said u don’t need then pleas use rice method  rest elevation (toes above nose) and ice and soon you’ll be a lot happier than going under the knife because of arthritis which is unavoidable in most aging adults anyway... good luck and not preaching just don’t want someone going through what had been referred to as “routine” and although may be performed daily is not so routine on the patient which is why you’re on this Forum 
    • Posted

Hang in there, bro. It must be tough to go through this being single. Hopefully you have some relatives and friends to help you through this period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.