Do you think these symptoms are related?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys. I’m freaking myself out about my symptoms and wondered if anyone can help me out. 

For the past 3 months I have had a pain (burning) under my right rib that sometimes spreads down my side. No other symptoms apart from that. My doctor has done a liver function test aswell as a full blood count which all came back normal. I got sent for an ultrasound also which came back normal. She has put me on omeprazole to see if it calms any inflammation but Iv been on it nearly two weeks and it’s made no difference. 

For the past 4/5 days though I have been suffering with lower back pain, and I now seem to of developed a pain on my left side. It came on initially as I reached for something up high, but the pain went away and has only come on strongly after 2/3 days. I also seem to have an intermittent sore throat (which is red on inspection) and blocked nose. 

My doctor has referred me to a GI about my right side pain but dismissed everything else as a muscle strain and a common cold

My anxiety is through the roof at the moment and I’m feeling pretty fatigued aswell but I’m not sure if that’s due to poor sleep. 

Could any of these symptoms be related or is my doctor correct in what she says and I just need to calm myself down a bit? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Some of your symptoms sound like the cold and a possible muscle strain if it happened when you reached up high for something.  It is also possible that you are feeling achy because of your cold.  Sometimes you can get a burning pain if you pull a muscle.You can also bruise your ribs.

I would try to stay calm and accept what your doctor is saying thus far.  However, if your pain gets worse or new symptoms appear, ask for a HIDA scan to check gallbladder function and an endoscopy to check for conditions such as gastritis which can cause a burning sensation under your ribs which can radiate to your back.

• Posted

Anxiety can run your immune system down and leave you prone to infection.  Colds are going around just now.  Your sleep may be poor because of worry and lack of sleep will cause fatigue.  Anxiety can also leave you tired too.
    • Posted

Many thanks for ur response. My doctor suspected gastritis but having checked me for h pylori which came back negative and now been omeprazole for two weeks, my condition hasn’t changed so I’m not so sure now. 

I’m just really worried that the back pain and sore throat are somehow connected. 

• Posted

Other causes of sore throats can be acid reflux. You can get this with silent reflux too where you don’t feel the acid at first.  The acid can burn your throat and make it sore.  Sometimes you have be on PPIs for up to four weeks before you see a difference.  You can get back pain with gastritis.  An endoscopy would show it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.