Do you walk with 1 crutch & have knee pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

After my ankle surgery (Jan 2017) I had to cope with the pain and swelling we all do but since I have started using one crutch, I experience a bad knee pain. GP says it is because I put pressure on my knee and I wonder if it is arthritis.  I wonder if any of you who can now wallk with 1 crutch or unaided get knee pain.  Thanks.

Best wishes to all,

Molly

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi molly. And yes I get knee pain in I'm not evened up. I need equal support on each side. I use both cruches and both legs when in chair. I'm so scared of prolonging the healing if something hurts I adjust till it doesn't. Even footwear,,have you asked pysio about strapping support. 

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

As you say we don't get equal support on each side.

I don't know what strapping support is.

• Posted

Bandaging or support bands. But i get quite cross when we end up doing more damage when we're not advised how avoid it. When these injuries occur they are so life changing and mentally draining we can't think through pain. There really should be a after care information document. my hands are so very sore as well from chair and crutches  and if I get cold everything is sore so even consistent temperature is required. Hope you have a better day today. Xxxjen

• Posted

Jenni,

There is not anything that you can call after care once you are discharged from the hospital in UK.  At the lack of it, at least an informative booklet would have been really useful.  I found out everything on the way and this forum has also been great help.  

I looked up strapping support for ankles and knees.  They are about 10 UK pounds each.  I have a support sock that is too tight and sometimes don't like wearing it but maybe I ought to have  it on more often.

The whole experience is mentally and physically draining.

I have been taking antidepressants, the minimum dosage, for a week now and feel a bit better.

Hope you are doing much better too.biggrin

Molly

• Posted

Hi Molly.I'm seventy and had a triple fusion last August.Following the plaster cast I was in a boot for sometime which can cause knee pain as your legs are uneven in height.I am walking with one crutch when I am outside but sometimes have to use two on uneven ground.My GP sent me for knee x-Ray which showed that the arthritis has probably been made worse by the uneven walking.It has been suggested that I either have steroid injections or a knee replacement.Perhaps you could ask your Doctor for an X-Ray to see what is going on.I do hope things improve for you.Best wishes,Nonita

• Posted

Hi Nonita,

Thanks. I am 60.  The GP prescribed me an x-ray and a scan for my knee.  I assume my arthritis that was in the early stages could have worsened too because of this extra pressure and uneven walking.

I don't want to be taking painkillers but sometimes I have too.

Somebody in our group mentioned to me Voltaren rub-on-gel pain to apply on to my knee.  Have you heard about it?  Do you use any other gel or cream for knee pain relief?

Best wishes and good luck,

Molly

• Posted

Can you get an Even-up, or similar item? It raises the height of the non-boot shoe. It works well with athletic shoes, but it's not really intended to be used with other shoes. I used one the entire time that I was in the boot because my non-surgical leg has a knee replacement and I didn't want to risk damaging the muscles around it.

• Posted

Thanks Becky.  I will look into it.  I don't like wearing athletic shoes but might well have to. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.