Doc has given me Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just been given Citalopram by my new GP, I have never taken them before but have been reading peoples experiences and now I am very nervous about taking them? Are there any positive and success stories out there?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on Citalopram for 2 months now with 20mg.

The first month and a half were difficult for me, I felt very anxious and depressed and my side effects took about 3 weeks in to surface.

I am now over all that so far, currently doing really well and happy I stuck with them.

I think everyone reacts differently to them and if your willing to try them you should, they don't work for everyone but at least you've tried!!

I hope it all works out for you, if your still having doubts get in touch with your gp and let them know your reservations.

• Posted

Mermaid8701 thanks for your reply. I've decided to give them a go, anything has got to be better than feeling like this. 

• Posted

This is my third try at this medicine it worked great for me I just foolishly stopped taking it when I felt better. I started 20mg about 3-4 weeks ago and I'm gonna be honest the side effects for the first 2 weeks were awful for me. I couldn't eat, anxiety was way worse, I was sick all the time but I toughed it out and got through it. I don't feel 100% yet but I feel a lot better than I did a month ago. Its worth a shot at least just know its normal to feel worse in the beginning. Good luck and I hope it works for you.
    • Posted

Side effects not too bad for me at the mo but decided to give them a go smile Thanks 
  • Posted

Hi there, I have been on Citi, and didn't really have any side effects! I remember one evening I was yawning a lot, other than that nothing really! I was on 20 mg! But either way it's worth feeling better, how ever you get there!! Good luck😀
  • Posted

Yes - I recovered on Citalopram after many years of being ill.  They can work slow ... real slow ... but they really will help you.  I've been ever since I've been on these.

K x

• Posted

Missed a word out ....... have been 'well' ever since 😊
    • Posted

Thanks for clearing that up Kate. Lol even I'm feeling a bit better today. Hope it gets even better. Coming up to a month on 30mgs
    • Posted

Yes it does get better as time goes by, often in waves.  Feeling good, feeling low ..... with the low feeling getting less in time.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I'm gonna give them a good try smile 

• Posted

I've been on these for a while, and they do help.... I never really suffered with any side effects thankfully.... But, don't just stop taking them if you feel better- I made that mistake and felt really anxious after a couple of weeks, and then had to wait another couple of weeks for them to kick in again..... Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks, I've been on them a week now, bit light headed and sickly but can put up with it if they work. smile
  • Posted

Hi. I'm so glad I found this discussion because I was considering that maybe the tablets weren't working and I may as well stop. I'm on day 13 of 10mg citalopram for anxiety and depression. The first week wasn't too bad but oh boy, it has really started to kick in now! I feel super anxious all day, churning stomach, bad sleep, thumping heart etc etc... Is it normal to have these side effects so late on because I heard that by the end of the second week they should be going? I have a review with my doctor on Monday and I'm terrified that she's going to increase my dose up to 20mg. I need some reassurance that this is all normal and that I will get through it :'(
    • Posted

Day 13 is very early days.  Yes you'll have these feelings at the moment, and in time they'll lessen.  Count recovery in months, not weeks.  Don't worry about the time as it gets easier.  It take a very, very long time to recover - but it's worth the wait xx

Recovery often comes in waves, so you'll be up and down for a while yet.  The down times are setbacks/blips and can be annoying, but it seems that's how the meds work.

Each dose increase will also give you side effects again for a little while.

Slowly your body will adjust and you'll begin to start feeli well.

K x

• Posted

Thank you. I want to get better so desperately and I know I need to just try to push through, but it is so difficult. 
    • Posted

I know, I've been there - it's horrible.

The meds will work in their own sweet, slow way.  You can't hurry recovery.  Let it come to you.  Try to go with the flow through each setback.  Trying to desperately get better makes you tense.  Try going about everyday life in a relaxed manner - walk slower, drive slow, get to bed early, eat well, take exercise (walking every day) - exercise helps burn up anxiety and releases endorphins, making you feel better.

You will get there though.  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.