Doc implanted IOL for intermediate vision without consulting with me

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had cataract surgery on my right eye last week.  Prior to surgery, I did not meet with the ophthalmologist to discuss livestyle/expectations, which I found a little odd.  My only communication was with the technician who measured my eye with lasar and then extended his arm and told me this was the distance that I would see clearly at and I would need glasses.  Since I wear contact lenses and have needed readers for over twenty years, I thought that I would be getting a distance lens and he was indicating the start of good vision.   This is not the case.  I can only see very clearly at about 4 feet.  I find this distance very disorienting and feel nauseous when walking and reading.  At this point I need glasses/contact for both distance and close up work.  My other eye does not in need of surgery yet. I am really upset because this intermediate vision does not work for me.  Does anyone have any advice?  I am very annoyed with myself for not insisting on seeing ophthalmologist prior to surgery.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet - it is a shame you didn’t have a proper consult prior to the surgery.  You didn’t say which distance you would have preferred (I ase maybe best corrected for distance).   Once the IOL is implanted the power can be tweaked using lasik - only other option would be a lens exchange.

You mentioned feeling nauseas- wondering if there is too great a difference between your operated eye and non operated eye.   As it’s only been a week since your surgery it is too soon to get an exact prescription but I suspect once you are able to get a prescription and get glasses the nauseasness will disappear.   

• Posted

I agree with Sue.An that you probably have yet to get used to the new vision. If this is any comfort, I wish I have the intermediate vision you have. You still have the other eye to combine with this intermediate vision eye. Options are plentiful. I suspect one of combinations will suit you very well. Just make sure you have a thorough communication with your doctor for the other eye.
  • Posted

The part that I am really struggling with is someone making this important decision about my vision after just one short appointment to confirm that surgery was needed.  Why is consultation with the patient not mandatory?  I am quite active for my age and really wanted distance vision, because it is difficult to participate in sports with glasses slipping down one's nose. And I'm upset about potentially having to go through additional procedures because a professional couldn't take the time to talk to me for 15 minutes. 

• Posted

Is your other eye due for surgery soon?   You should have a discussion with the surgeon before that surgery.  Depending on where first eye is you likely can ask for distance vision in that 2nd eye.  The 2 eyes working together would provide good functional vision for you.  it’s called mini monovision where one eye sees distance and the other eye sees intermediate.  But these are options you’ll want to discuss with your surgeon.  Have you had your 1 week post op yet?  Should be scheduled soon and you can ask your surgeon best plan for 2nd eye.
    • Posted

You may want to switch doctor. I saw three eye surgeons before settling down on one. The one I chose will never allow what happened to you to happen. 
  • Posted

Your doctor definitely should have consulted with you and your lifestyle. I did choose an intermediate lens and find that my distance vision is somewhat blurry without glasses, like I can't drive without glasses, but I can see well enough into the distance if I am just walking. My close up vision is good enough for everyday tasks like cooking, being on the computer, or short amounts of reading, but if I read a book or the newspaper I wear my reading glasses. I hope that when you adjust to your new lens the nausea will stop and you will find that it is a decent all purpose solution like I do. 

• Posted

Since joining these forums I can understand why people might prefer the close/intermediate distance vs best corrected distance.  Unless golfing is your hobby so much more time is spent in that closer and intermediate range.  I didn’t know that was an option for monofocals and surgeons talk about distance vision and readers for other distances.   The thought of losing near vision was very disturbing to me.  All my life I had worn glasses for distance so that is likely the reason for my concern.

It was my biggest influence to going with Symfony lenses.   Glad you enjoy the vision you have.  Was your surgeon the person who suggested that or did you inquire about it?

• Posted

I had surgery on both eyes in the pass seven weeks,I was referred by an ophthalmologist for cataract removal as he told me I need ed it.

Since the surgery I have cloudiness(back of lens) in the right eye and need further laser to clean up the lens.Has for the left eye I have a black rim/shadow seen in the corner of my eye,plus I am seeing flashes of light when I move my head from right to left.On the follow with the Eye Surgeon he clams it will go away,it's over seven weeks and no improvement as of yet.This is very annoying also.

In your case I think I would see another ophthalmologists for a second opinion.Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.