Doctor confused, t4 and tsh high?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with hyperthrodism 12 months back, and have had confirmed the TPO antibodies are present.

Now this is where things get interesting.. I started off with my t4 levles low at 7.7 and Tsh level above 100. After 12 months my t4 results are now consisitanly high, currentely 29 AND my Tsh levles are still high and have leveled off at around 17/18.

My thoughts were that my T3 levles we still low however seem to be within range at 4.2.

I have been told over a month to see the consultant and doctor wont advise

see attached charts - what do you guys think?

many thanks

Steve

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi steven

The first thing that occurs to me is that your body isn't converting T4 to T3. This would explain why your TSH is high and your T4 is high and your T3 is not high. (With your T4 high one would expect your T3 to also be high). It seems that your body is asking for more T3 by your raised TSH; your thyroid is supplying it in the form of T4; and your body isn't converting it to T3. Have you had your reverse T3 tested? This is a form of T3 that is 'inactive'. I'll try and find the link to a really good article and PM (private message) it to you. Remember I'm not medically qualified so do check what I've said for yourself.

• Posted

Hello Steven:

I am an RN - nurse and live in the USA.  Your T4 is as you  said very high now. You may be having conversion  problems with your  thyroid. Normally T4 is used and converted by the thyroid to T3.  You could have the start of Hashimoto's and that can mess  with the gland and maybe  why you can't  convert it well.  

I had that happen to me.  You should  see an Endocrinologist as they know the Thyroid much better than a GP does.  You need a good one.

• Posted

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your response.

I was thinking it would be realted to a low T3, and as such had to force the doctor to order the free t3 test. Not sure about the reverse though.

As the result came back within range I thought I was off, however the key point as you quite righly point out is that if the T4 is above average, then so should be the T3 (as t4 produces t3)

I have to wait now for a month (having already waiting that long to see the doctor after my last results), however suspect that a taking an T3 replacment in addition to the levothryoxine would be a good step.

My confusion now though is what symtops should I be showing, if the t4 is high then hyper, however if T3 is lower than my body needs then hypo still... all very confusing if you ask me

Thanks again

Steve

• Posted

Hello Steven:

Some symptoms of low thyroid (Hypothyroidism) are:

Weight gain, dry skin, mental confusion, unable to do a task, tired all the time, feeling COLD, muscle aches and pains,  feeling depressed, and nails that don't grow, there are more these are common ones.

Hyper  (TOO MUCH) symptoms are:  rapid loss of weight, nervouness, shaky, anxiet/panic attacks, jittery feelings, bug eyed look,  and there are more these are most common.

LOG your symptoms and explain to the doctor I feel blah -blah & I am having  blah symptoms.  A lot of people go back and forth between Hyper  and Hypo.    Ask the doc, what he thinks of just T3.  I am on cytomel which is only T3 as I can't convert T4 into T3.

It sure is confusing and the body is complex.  Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.