Doctor has made me furious

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had to go back to GP this morning following low folate phone call on friday, couldn't see GP saw last week, instead saw my actual registerd one. Wow, i'm completely flabergasted to say the least.

Firstly, asked when my problems started so when said it seems to have followed on since Dad's death and other issues i had around that time, her response, oh well, you are of an age where its quite normal for parents to die, that shouldn't have been a big suprise!!!

What the beeeep!!??? I'm sorry losing my dad was a shock, and yes i grieved, am i not normal for doing that?? How can anyone, never mind a doctor say that?

Followed up by saying oh and odd aches and pains are just you getting older, i just looked and said i'm 43 not 93. She herself has aches and pains and therefore i should just go swimming more often and lose more weight (i've lost 9 kilos over last year) that will sort me out. 

She doesn't agree with GP i saw last week who did think there is likelihood that i'm suffering with fibro and/or cfs. Wouldn't answer any question i had regarding how can general aches and pains cause migraines, earache, low folate, serious fatigue and dizzy spells, along with significant pain in my ribs, shoulders and hips. 

I've come home completely and utterly flabbergasted. Have no idea what to do now. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear this, Ellie as obviously stress and upsets make anything worse. I'm glad your on B12 as that strengthens the nervous system. 
  • Posted

Wow what a b*****. Losing a parent no matter what age is still a shock and causes massive grief. How could she say that, may be a bit judgemental but i normally find its male GP's that are more insensitive not females.

Id honestly complian to the practice manager.

Can you go back and see the GP from the previous week?

The problem is GP's are a referal service and not much else, they cant answer many questions becuase they dont know much, you should demand a referal to a Rheumy.

Good luck

• Posted

Seeing a rheumatologist is the only way forward with this GP brick wall situation. Insist you see a rheumatologist asap. Also report this uncaring GP's attitude. It is seriously disgusting me seeing how many poor suffering people are being treated both by incompetent GPS and the DWP!!!!!!! At the moment I am going throu a reconsideration with the PIPS dept who tell me they have no email faculty or fax facilities. So I resubmitted more pare work through my local job centre. I then find out it has been sent to the wrong address. I have already had an apology pay from when you ESA was stopped two days after shoulder surgery. So I have got the Resolution Management team involved. 
  • Posted

Hi Ellie, firstly I'm sorry for your sad loss. I lost my mum at 17 and father at 39 and it is a stressful and upsetting time. This can trigger stress and anxiety and in turn cause fatigue but your joint pains, migraines etc still need furthe investigation through a rheumatologist. Do you know if you thyroid and hormones were tested as peri-menopause symptoms also begin and can makes health problems even more confusing. I was lucky enough to be diagnosed privately through my workplace insurance at the time so once fibro and cfs was diagnosed I also had mri's showing I had severe degenerative disc disease and widespread osteoarthritis. This goes to show that unless you are fully checked over, it's tough to diagnose cfs/fibro - by the way I was 42 when all this was found so was certainly not just caused by stress. Please insist on a referral. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Thank you all so much, it is so helpful having somewhere to let off steam. Your kindness and advice is very much welcomed.

I feel so frustrated with 2 steps forward 3 steps back with GP's. Reading lots of posts it is terrible for so many people, it shouldn't be such a battle for anyone, it all seems so wrong. My heart truly goes out to everyone who is or has gone through this.

I know something is wrong with me, i'm not the person i was but i certainly didn't expect to be made to feel guilty or stupid for a perfectly natural human response. 

Not sure about my hormone levels, not sure if tested or not, she didn't mention that, but my thyroid function was fine. 

I am going to keep pushing and keeping strong with things.

Thank you again, take care everyone.

Ellie x

• Posted

I'm afraid that this kind of reaction is not at all uncommon in GPs. There are many fibro deniers out there. Don't put yourself through the stress of complaining. Change docs!

• Posted

Hi hun just read your mail if I was you I would put in a complaint about your gp a and ask to see someone new or change doctors all together their are some doctors out their that are very cruel but don't let them get you down hun and keep your chin up sending love and best wishes cherl xxx
  • Posted

Hi Ellie

no wonder you are flabbergasted, I was and I was only reading your post! These doctors have a lot to answer for. I am 45 and been told the same thing as you, it's normal to get wear and tear, aches and pains blah blah blah, but like you said I'm not 93!!! 

I would suggest trying a different doctor. I know it's a bind, and the very same thing could happen again, but if you find someone who will take you seriously it will be worth it. I have been struggling to find a doctor, but was speaking to a friend about my condition (which I don't do often) and she recommended an acupuncturist who knew about fibro, and she recommended a doctor for me. I have yet to go to the doctor, but perhaps ask around any people who could help you and recommend one.

hope you find someone

take care

Boqer

• Posted

Oh! my God I can't believe your gp said that to you on hearing of the death of your father.  I am so very sorry to hear this. I lost my brother at the end of August last year and my father in November.  I still think I will walk into their house and they will be the there.  My doctor was wonderful,  like you I have fibro, on one of my visits to my doctors because of pain I started to cry.  She sat back in her chair and just listened about me, my bereavement and the worry I  had now caring for my 88year Mum. Regarding my fibro she arranged for an appointment at a Pain Clinic for me which I went to last week and the consultant there was very understanding and she in turn is making a appointment for me with a rhumetoligist.   I am just hoping that they have understanding of firbo.  I think it is sad that we need to pick out of a GP'S practice the doctor who is the most caring in their job when they all  should be.  My heart goes out to you    take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.