Doctor has prescribed me mirtazapine 15mg

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi I've been described 15mg of mirtazapine for depressio, I've never suffered with depression before and never taken any antidepressant, when I took my first tablet at about 9.30 last night I did not know what to expect and to be honest I dont think I was expecting much, well within about 45 minutes of taking I started to feel a bit strange so took myself of to bed, for the first half an hour I was tossing and turning and felt I had to keep stretching to get comfortable, I then must of dropped off and did not stop dreaming all night, the dream was a good dream about the same thing, at times I felt like I was waking up but thinking back now I don't think I actually was! I woken at 7 by my alarm and the kids getting up for school and felt dazed at first and strange, I struggled to act normal with the kids whilst they were getting ready for school I felt spaced out, I then went back off to sleep for an hour when they went to school, when I woke at 9 I still felt strange and tried to explain to my wife how I was feeling, it's now 11 and I'm starting to come round I don't feel as tired as I normally do and I'm about to go and try and do some jobs I've been putting off in the garden now, this is my first forum I've ever wrote on and ive just tried to put how I'm feeling into words, cheers for reading

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul,  Well this is a relief, I share you concern!!  Only last night did i take a 30mg of Mirt.  What an evening that was!!!! Full of sparkles, everything felt wierd, like it was a new house with new lighting, new sounds, its hard to explain, but was one hell of a trip!   I was only prescribed this for IBS only, which is really peculiar, but having read updates, its beneficial apparently. However, after 30mg and waking up feeling like a train crash, Im unsure if I want to continue.  I feel completely spaced out and I have my own business to run with dealing with customers and I cannot face it just now.  I generally sleep bad, but last night, I was tossing and turning and legs had too much energy, i couldnt keep them still and then the rest as history and woke up this morning at 8.30 feeling pretty terrible.  After reading all the concerns on here about withdrawals, Im pretty scared of them now, such powerful little things!!  Maybe I should ask for a lower dosage.  However, sorry to go on about me, hope you are starting to feel a little more human soon.  What are you taking them for?  do you think you will stick with them?  I think the symptoms that we have are quite common according to this page, but coming off them seems rather troublesome and I can clearly see how this could affect your family life and i suppose you and i need to question are these the right pills???  Dunno, like you this is my first forum.  Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Jason

thanks for replying, I also have my own buisness and have struggled a bit over the last few months with the pressure of it and had become somewhat withdrawn which is not a good thing in my case either as I have to deal with the public on a daily basis, I explained all this to my doctor before she described this to me, she said she wants me to be on the higher 30mg dosage eventually which is kind of worrying a bit after the way I felt up until about 11 this morning after taking it for the first time, I plan on staying with it for the next couple of weeks in the back of my mind I think it could help, I have another appointment with her in 2 weeks time, I'm not feeling so spaced out now, let's see how my second night gos!! Good luck

• Posted

wow, as far as I know, read and heard jason, you are supposed to start at just !%mg not 30! thats really high.

and Mirt is a very powerful drug.

So many postive feedbacks about mirt, they out weigh the negative ones.

I would definately ask why your dose is so high to begin with.

• Posted

Hi fellas, I cannot give you a lot of help but I will tell you what little I know. I was changed to mirtazapine 15 mgs (the lowest recommended dose )for depression. After 8 weeks I had to come off them due to physical side effects. I too had the vivid dreams Mirtazapine is renowned for that I felt groggy in the morning,but I did get goodnight skeep which I desperatly needed. Mirt was working as regard my mood,  but my GP wasn't happy about the other effects it had on me. I had no problems coming off them as I was prescribed another antidepressant but I have heard of the horror stories from those who were on it a long time.

Paul you have not said the reason for your GP prescribing them so they may work for you, but it does seem a strange choice of drug for the first time if it is for depression.

jason as regards IBS I am sorry I cannot give you any advice, all I have heard about is the higher the dose the less sedative effects it has. But I cannot understand why.

hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I'd stop this drug while you still can. Anything else would be better than this. I'm trying to come off it and it's a nightmare. I got some professional help to try to cone of it and they told me it's the most difficult drug to come off. Unless you have a severe sleeping and eating (this drug will make you eat a lot) disorder I'd consider switching to something else!

• Posted

Hi I've been prescribed this because my doctor has said I was suffering with depression, I've felt quite down and have no energy and not been able to motivate myself the past few months, my sleep has been a bit disruptive which has obviously been making me groggy throughout the day, my appetite is fine, I run my own business which has been struggling of late which I believe is the the cause of my depression the doctor has diagnosed, I have never been the kind of person to get down before and normally I'm very motivated
  • Posted

Hi Paul - have a look at the other mirtazapine threads - many people are new to forums (as I was) and discuss many feelings while on this medication. I have found it very informative an comforting that other people are experiencing these feeling that I thought were alien to me. They do settle though and for some make you feel better. I really struggled with the introduction to this medication in December but now I have no trouble with it and sleep properly.
  • Posted

kind of gave me a little chuckle there, it is not such a bad thing for you to be a little tired and have gone back to bed... my first week on mirt* was crazy, tossing and turning and dreaming non stop. the 2nd week i was increased to 30 mg and the dreaming continued , waking almost every hour, I am in my 5th week now i believe and I havent had any anxiety since i started taking mirt....I do however find that the mirt keeps me tossing n turning n waking alot in the night... Everyone assures me that going the full 8 weeks will be worth it... my problem is mainly anxiety and insomnia, and yes depression... I am feeling 110% better since i started Mirt*...

I hope it helps you too, working in the garden is very nice and relaxing... enjoy smile

• Posted

Iv been on them 4 weeks at 30mg and it is making a difference iv been on citalapram and prozac but neither suited me had bad side effects these mirtazapine have gave me a better quality of sleep I was having really vivid nightmares of deaths in my family to sugar coat it waking up screaming in tears my head was a complete mess in the day, that has stopped except the occasional nights, through the day I can focus again, altho the drowsiness is worrying I'd sleep all night and all day if I could. my anxiousness has subsided a bit but I'm hopeful that when the 8+ week period is up ill be bit better on them. As people have said the eating thing is getting to me I'm always troffing and iv never been a comfort eater but everything sweet is tasting so good (iv always been savory) which is worrying as I bet the weight is piling on but I feel like it's out of my control a bit. But ultimately give them chance to work properly if they are not for you there's plenty more out there. My mum has suffered with mental illness for as long as I remember as a child I grew up with her in the mental health ward most of the time but she too is on these and has been for a year and theres such a big difference in her moods so I'm hopeful.
  • Posted

Hi

Mirtazapine is a sedative antidepressant unlike others such as fluoxetine which "peps" you up and so it will slow you down and give you the other side effects.  Perhaps after 4-6 weeks your body will get usd to it.

• Posted

Morning Guys

My 2nd night didn't go to well really struggled with the numbness in my legs took tablet at 10.30 and didn't go off till about 2, I had the dreams again, I'm going to speak with the doctor about this aching numbing feeling I keep getting in my legs and arms, must say tho I felt quite relaxed yesterday after coming round about 11

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Paul just to say hope you are feeling better since this post. I just started mirt 15 mg on fri night and I think defo take it earlier before bedtime. Am also comeing of venlafaxine as well.
  • Posted

Hi Paul..i was prescrubed this medication yesterday.....I think Iam depressed...symptoms suggest I am...become like a recluse.  I am unable to swallow as have an osopehgeal problem...can swallowliquids..but thats about i... Cannot stand the thouht of food, and have lost 2 stone in weight.....wasnt heavy before either... so physically unableto swallow, and am rally low about tis as nt getting all the vitamins and proteini need.  am now on prescribed protein drinks...but was and am feeling so upset about all the problems.. Had my first tablet 15mg last night...I fell asleep quickly, had a funny dream, but i do tend to dream anyway, wnt to sleep at about 9.30pm and awoke at 10am...such a long sleep, fet rested for the first time in ages...took me ages to come too and felt groggy most of the day,,,felt better at 6pm....so I think it may be working for me...feeling sleepy now (havnt taken tabet yet) and its 7pm..Will take anter a tablet (my second so far) at 9pm tonight...and we will see.........Good luck with solving whatever is wrong and may you be your normal positve and happy self soooooooon.......

• Posted

Hi Paul! I was diagnosed with anxiety and low mood 6 months ago and prescribed mirtazapine 30mg (one at night). I would say to expect a rough ride for 2-4 weeks, I sympathise with the vivid dreams by the way...I still get them! I have put on weight (about a stone) but trying not to worry about it. I worry about coming off them but I'm due to see a consultant in 3 weeks in reagards to still being on them. I hope you are starting to feel a bit brighter
  • Posted

Hi,I struggled with depression after a breakup the only thing that worked was this mirtzapine/zispin....after few months of pleasant dreams,snoozing i needed to get back to study and went down to 10mg, 

im currently back on it for siatica/extreme lower back pain last two weeks and its helping alot more with sleeping etc than codeine painkillers

Because i know its not addictive i feel relaxed,but yes the first week i feel

groggy and be careful to just gradually come off it in a few months

ive had some bad phases in life where i just needed a rest/couple months on something to get me through grief/loss etc im happy mirtzipan worked for me the modern stuff like lexapro etc you need to take every day for months, stay on it ages and it only made me feel feverish at night but by the time they work ive usually started to lift already, tbh any more bad phases in my life i feel reassured its there..at 36 its about time i found my guardian angel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.