Doctor has told me I have sciatica but I'm not convinced.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have pain in my hip, cramp in my calf and numbness and change in sensation in my calf and foot. I can't lift my foot off the floor and I feel as if I'm flapping my foot when I walk. I can walk off the pain but when I sit or lay down the pain slowly intensifies and I have to get back up within 10 mins. Does this sound right to anyone suffering sciatica

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Arlene

It does sound as if you may have sciatica, but maybe you might have blocked arteries in your legs causing the cramps in your calves - I had that (after having sciatica) and after - eventually - having an MRI on my legs, had to have angioplasty to clear the blockages on both legs.

I also have paresthesia in my right foot, the left-overs of the sciatica, and this may be what you are experiencing in your feet?

Hope that helps and/or gives food for thought,  maybe for your doctor as well?

• Posted

Hi Arlene, it does sound like sciatica to me too. When I get it it does feel like a constant cramp pain down my leg. I also have numbness and tingling feeling down the top back of my leg, down the side of my leg and in the side of my ankle, foot and baby toe. I was walking with a limp for a couple of months, I couldn't push myself up on the front of my foot it was like my strength had gone in my foot, but am happy to say I now can and no longer have a limp. Also the not being able to sit for long is another sign 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.