Doctor is certain that nthing serious is wrong with me, endoscopy booked, need advice!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, me again

So, this morning, had my latest visit to the doctor...she examined my stomach, checked my blood results and my symptoms and blood pressure....told me that she is certain I have nothing serious wrong with me, no serious illness or cancer....endoscopy will help me understand and accept that it is IBS, also, a touch of Gastronitis which is common with IBS sufferers....and we can take the best course of action in terms of medication. Now, yes the doctor all but ruling out anything serious, it does make my symptoms which is very surely now IBS confirmed less scary (still not nice) but I can be positive, or work on being positive that I am safe and what is happening is not killing me....but having an Endoscopy is scary on its own and is causing me some anxiety. The doctor gave me Xanax to help reduce those intense anxieties....so I have 6 days before I can have my edoscopy and results which I am 97% sure will come back to show nothing but some Gastronitis....any of you guys had Endoscopy before? Maybe some advice of how to handle it? I am scared of my Gag reflex and I dont want sedation....any tips of how to prepare are most welcome....

And I know the doctor expects to find nothing in my stomach....I am still scared of the 'what if'' anxious thought...something I will have to work on over the next 6 days...any advice would be good about this also..

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Try not to worry. If the doc is convinced it's nothing serious going on then accept that for the now. Doctors see cases of IBS daily it is extremely common (you would be surprised at how many people are diagnosed with it - it's a lot).

I've had it over 20 years and I've had the examination twice.. Camera inserted into rectum and pushed all around the inner bowel and colon as well as the stomach camera. They do give you a sedative before that relaxes you and I could watch the camera travel around my bowels on the screen so I got to see my interns. That was a bit weird but interesting, it does't hurt just feels strange. My initial reaction to the stomach camera was to gag but if you just relax your throat muscles it's not a problem and the gag stops. It didn't hurt it was just uncomfortable but it doesn't last long and if you relax it's much easier and over quicker. They will be looking for ulcers, diverticular and evidence of leaky gut - all common with IBS/IBD but again don't panic if they do find any  they all come and go and are manageable.

IBS is quite scary when your going through a flare up, all sorts of things go through your mind that it may be but trust your doc, they know the difference between something else and  frightening IBS just from symptoms. Don't worry, although IBS is nothing trivial by all means and it's only managable not curable it  can be controled by diet and reducing stress situations.

I hope this has put your mind at ease. Do not worry about it as that will make your symptoms worse. Just relax and smile alot. Sounds mad but it does help, when you smile your not stressed, when your not stressed your symptoms calm down.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, yeah, I accept the doctors diagnosis, she basically said that there are no symptoms or signs of anything serious wrong with me, and she expects this will come back with only Gastronitris and confirming IBS which will help put my mind at ease.....I am very accepting of confident doctors and when quizzed about the serious stuff, she was more than understanding but put my mind at ease that nothing at all is wrong internally that is life threatening...so expecting this to be an uncomfortable yet important expreience which will give me the new lease of life I have been searching for ever since my latest IBS problems. and your right, smiling and laughing helps a great deal!smile
  • Posted

Hi there like you i hate the thought of a endscope or them finding something even thou the gp says its going to be normal you still cant help worrying, i opted for the sedation as i cant even swallo tablets withought feeling sick it was brill it was over and done with in minutes and i felt very relaxed and calm and mine was like gp said all normal, but its not a nice thing for anyone so pleasetry not to worry or get your self worked easier said than done but once done they tell you straight awayif its all clear wishing you all the best

happy christmas hun x

• Posted

Hi there, yeah, its always the what if fears, I guess everyone has those no matter who you are or for why you are having the tests, they are scary...because you never know...but my doctor was more than reassuring that it is definetley not cancer or things of a serious nature, which really helps....I will try to relax, focus on the positives of having it done to finally but my worried mind at ease....and also, although I am not a fan of this type of procedure (bad gag reflex) I will be focused only on my breathing and the end outcome, allowing my body to feel relaxed and calm!...

Merry Christmas! x

• Posted

Dear g75183,

I can fully understand your anxiety over having a colonoscopy examination. When I was first offered this procedure I actually turned it down, this was a very silly thing to do.

After a second consultantion with a bowel surgeon it was explained to me that they needed to rule out the possibility of bowel cancer. This state really frightened me so I said I would go for it. By this time there was a 35 week waiting list and I realised I needed to do something fast. I went private and it cost me £831.00.

The big day came in about two weeks. The consultant and two nurses were all very nice and I was given pethidine through an IV connection just to help me relax and gas and air (entonox) if I wanted it. The procedure was very easy and caused me no pain at all. If you really want it they can give you some sort of relaxant and afterward you cannot remember anything at all. They did not want me to have this because I am a bit big at 24 stone and they said I would have to move around during the examination under their instruction because I was too big for the nurses.

I must say I found the whole thing a bit of a laugh on pethidine and told the nurses my repetoire of jokes during the procedure, much to the amusement of the consultant conducting the examination.

The problem with us is we worry about everything and the actual thing always turns out to be nothing like what we were stressing about.

I am sure you will be fine g75183. Please explain to us what it was like after you have been there and had the procedure carried out so that others like you and me can destress before the day.

Hope you have a lovely Chtistmas and please don't worry. I wish I could go and have the examination for you because I have learnt some more jokes for the nurses.

Best wishes

robert

• Posted

I would love someone else to go do it for me:D I have never been a fan of the idea of an Endoscopy, but it will be for my own good to see that the doctors are right....I am fine and I can move on living my life.....so I am also happy.....

Yes it doesnt make the procedure less scary....but as stated....I will focus on the positive outcome and breathing knowing that at the end, I will get results and they will send me on my way with needing some medication only to get my self back to normal.....my doctor was more than assured that I do not have anything serious wrong with me....and she was very very confident of this exam bringing back Gastronitis only.

• Posted

Dear g75183,

You certainly have the right attitude and I wish I had gone for it the fist time, instead I chickened out thinking it was going to be dreadful. I made a mistake didn't I.

I wish you all the best for after Christmas, don't forget to let us know.

robert

• Posted

Thanks Robert,

I certainly feel like chickening out also, its a scary sounding procedure...but as I was told, its 5-10minutes of feeling uncomfortable for what I will hope will be an easy 30second diagnosis of nothing serious as what the doctor thinks and this should give me the motivational push I have been needing in order to get my life back on the happy track!

Thanks, and I wish you a very merry christmas! even with IBS....we have to enjoy our Christmas Dinner!wink

I will update on Monday after the exam....thanks guys!

• Posted

Why would you want to stay awake?  No No just relax and take the sedation.  You feel nothing and wake up just fine.
  • Posted

Before the whole procedure starts, they would sprey the back of your throat if you do not want to be sedated. As they begin to slide that flexible tube into you, you will only feel it in your mid section. They would also pump some air into you so that they couls see the entire track on the screen. Before all this, you should have received a strong laxative to get all the impurities out of your bowels.Then they can see everything in a clear vision!! It might last 30 minutes or more. The diddicult part afterwards is the push out the` extra air` that they have pushed into you. I found it quite challenging as it creates a distended stomach with some pain...!! It took me about a week to Fart...if you excuse my French!!!:=))) Good luck!!
  • Posted

Had my Endoscopy today, as for the results, doctor confirmed, nothing is wrong with me....further understanding of IBS and anxiety issues and how those really do work against each other making each other worse.....by the by...

The examination itself...let me describe what happened.

I sat, they lied me down on my side, sprayed spray at the back of your throat, which can make you gag a little...but nothing bad, and it takes effect straight away...

After this point, they enter a gumshield with a hole in it...not uncomfortable....but then they start to enter the pipe....you will gag a little, but you will swallow without issue, and after a few more moments of gagging, and unpleasant yet painless feelings, you will be done....after 3-5mins, exam was complete and my results were given......everything is good and nothing wrong with me

• Posted

Everyone with IBS should look at the FODMAPs diet. They might find it helpful. Th diet is based on research that, I think, was originally done in Australia and followed up here. Google FODMAPs diet and see if the information is helpful. Thankfully, I donm't have the condition but I know someone for whom it hs worked. As for endo's (I'm a coeliac) I would go for sedation every time, no contest. The throat spray tasted like toilet cleaner!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.