Doctor lowered my amitriptyline dose without my knowledge

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, been taking amitriptyline 75mg for trigeminal neuralgia for the past year, my doctors lowered my dose too 50mg without my knowledge is this allowed? It's been two days now since I haven't taken my normal dose and have started to feel anxious and nauseous with headache,  I haven't seen my doctor for the past two months so was shocked when collecting my medication the 25mg of amitriptyline had been stopped for some reason?  I thought if a gp wanted to lower a dose of long term medication that your taking then it should be done slowly by 10 percent each time. I'm going to try and see the doctor tomorrow but wanted to know what right they had to do this? Without even acknowledging myself first.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Vicky

I have been on this medication now for over ten years, I was taking 75mg and I reduced it down myself to 50mg. For me the reduction was not problematic.

With this drug it is better known as antidepressant, the drug is an old medicine and I understand there are now better ones in the wings. However that is not the point. I was taught in a pain clinic to make my medication doses as lean as possible, and vary the dose as my PsA flared and waned. So I only take the doses as required

Possibly your GP is preparing you to try a new medication, or He wants you care and maintain you on a lower dose. The only way you can put yor concerns to rest is to telephone the Surgery, there may have been an error.

Some surgery GP s also take telephones during the day at given times, you can try that as well. Also you can make an appointment to see your GP. and ask the reasons for the reduction. Try the telephone first.

Your GP has every right to reduce medication doses, generally He would explain why first. A possible reduction may be a good idea.

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I will contact the surgery first thing tomorrow, I've been on this medication for a year now and it's really help control my pain leval and helped me to get my life back to how it once was.

I just wasn't sure if the GP was allowed to do this without consulting myself first. 

I am hoping this is just an error as I'm now worried that my pain may come back? 

Thank you once again for your advice much appreciated 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.