Doctor phobia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Please help have terrible doctor phobia and changing doctors and I have cancelled my appointment already for this new one because I get terrible panic disorder blood pressure goes way up in my fight and flight just makes me want to leave it's everything I have to open the door and walk in the office anybody have any suggestions

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That has happened to me. I have had a full blown anxiety attack in the waiting room on occasion. I thought it wasbe cause i have ailments and i hate hearing diagnosis or new ones. Maybe it is what you said.. a phobia of some sort. I tell the dr. Im anxious so ignore the blood pressure. I learned how to breathe it down and cough a few times before they take the pressure (lowers it a tad) idk why cough works but i read it so i do it. Dont leave ..my theory is you in a drs office anyway so..thats mostly when i go to an urgi center thiugh they dont know me or ailments and i hate explaining it.

best advice ..and what i use is mindful belly breathing (bellybio app) .and cough before they cuff you.  And tell them.

i have a friend who use to get like too and once she got up and just left. She uses meds now. She just hated doctors.so its common for us who have anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I am so scared had a lot of bad childhood things going on at the doctors and I'm 60 now and still cannot get over it but I need to get something for my anxiety and my depression and my blood pressure and I hope this new doctor understands and I really want to tell them don't even take my blood pressure right now because it's already high one time they wanted to send me right to the hospital because my blood pressure was so high I'm really scared and when I try to deep breathe and that anxious I can't get a breath in

• Posted

And no I cannot afford to go to a therapist I can barely afford the doctor's appointments

• Posted

You are over think worst case scenarios. The dr can help you. Be honest and open with the doctor so you get what you need and good care. 
    • Posted

Well thank you just always worried that I'm going to act like a complete baby at the office everyone acts like a big grown-up people and can handle it I can't it scares me and my best friend is a nurse so she just laughs at me and tells me to get over it

• Posted

You know what..the truth..who cares what anyone thinks. This isnt something any of us want in our lives. No one can see you having an anxiety attack. We just look dazed or strange but noone knows its happening but us. Which is why many dont empathize with it, your are not acting like a baby..you are behaving the way a tyoical person with an anxiety disorder behaves. Bad enough to have it. But dont belittle yourself for it too.
  • Posted

Hello.  This has happened to me.  I suffered from anxiety attacks a long time ago and because of the appalling lack of understanding from doctors I have built up a phobia of doctors and I get an anxiety attack (which sets me back even more) whenever I try to go and see a doctor.  I built up the courage to go the other day and the doctor told me that in a year's time she will review the prozac I am on and she doesnt have to re-prescribe it to me if she doesn't want to.  Prozac is the best medication I have had for my condition and I definitely don't want to come off it so now I am really scared about that possibility too as I've tried to come off it three times and every time I ended up feeling suicidal.  With it I feel normal and have a happy life.

• Posted

Oh and I'm glad I found you seriously you're the only one I think of the whole world besides me that's Doctor fullback and has anxiety attacks. Supposed to see a new doctor next week about some medical issues I have one of which is anxiety and depression and I'm already made up my mind I'm cancelling the appointment. I've had too much anxiety and bad things happen this week that I don't think I can go see another doctor this will be my third who feels I don't have any problem that I should just gotta get over it and learn to relax and do meditation

• Posted

I'm getting rid of my doctor that I've had for 10 years because he's got me on the lowest dosage of Elavil there is and refuses to increase them because he said I just need to take a vacation from work and find myself again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.