Doctor, physio or chiropractor first port of call?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I saw my GP a few weeks ago on a separate matter and mentioned the pain I was also suffering in my lower back, left thigh, and buttock. He prescribed some Ibruprufen which hasn't made any real difference.

I now realise I can't ignore it any more so wondered what my next move should be. Do I go back to the doctors? Or do I cut out the middleman and go straight to a physio, chiropractor or similar? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

First thing ibruprufen are rubbish painkillers you need something a lot stronger than them I've had lower back pain since last nov had physio which did nothing all I got was exercises to do not very hands on also did hydro too last time my back went I decided to go private and went too see a chiropractor which helped me.

Now I'm on a cocktail of drugs a day plus wearing a si belt for support try and buy one great for lower back pain 

• Posted

Hi,

I had similar symptoms and, like you, found the physio exercises and ibuprofen didn't work. In fact, I was getting worse and in so much pain I was practically housebound so, on the advice of friends, I went to a chiropractor.

At first I had to go every day as I was in such a bad condition but he really helped and after less than 3 months, I am about 95% better and only need to see the chiropractor once every two weeks. 

For the first few weeks he got me to use an ice pack during the day every two hours for 15 mins, after that he gave me a si belt which I had to wear every day for about 4 weeks. He has given me quite a few exercises to do which I am still doing and which are really helping. 

I dread to think what state I would have been in if I had stuck with the nhs, so I would definitely recommend seeing a chiropractor. 

Good luck and hope you feel better soon. 

Wendy 

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. I had hoped it would be a temporary thing but sadly that doesnt seem to be the case. Will return to the docs and see what they recommend next.

George

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.