Doctor put me on medication for anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to the doctors office yesterday to try to get my anxiety in check and the nurse practicioner prescribed me 20mg of citalopram/day. I took my second dose today at lunch and maybe it's a side effect but I can't seem to quit yawning. Does that seem like a high starting dose to give someone? I don't like taking things so maybe I'm just worrying myself. Any help would be appreciated.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ashley, I don't know about that drug, but I wanted you to know that someone is here. Certain times of day, its slow, so you are not being ignored.

I just checked with someone. 20 mg is a low, starting dose. You are fine. If you are yawning, it could be that the med is relaxing you enough that you are breathing more deeply. We yawn when the body wants deeper breaths. You are doing just fine Ashley. Please do not be concerned, dear girl. All is well with you.

• Posted

Just reading your response made me feel more at ease. I have felt much more relaxed. I know it's only been 2 days, most likely a placebo thing, but nice to not feel as anxious as I was. Thank you for your caring response. I get weird when it comes to taking things, always worried about side effects and other things. I won't even take a tylenol with an allergy med in my system. Lol. Thank you again for your reply. So thankful to have someone to talk to.

• Posted

I'm the same way about meds, Ashley, so I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm glad I could help, Honey.

• Posted

Glad your nurse practicioner gave you something. Stay with it. You will be tired in the beginning of taking it, but after a while that will go away. If you find that after like 3 weeks it doesn't take you anxiety away, call right away and they will ajust it. Good for you and feel better!!

• Posted

Hey Kim! The yawning has kind of subsided for today so far. The only other problem I'm having is sleeping. I slept for a solid 3 hours then woke up for 2 and slept for 2 more. I'm cranky when I don't get my sleep. I've always been so weird about taking things and I'm trying my best not to look up side effects and horror stories about meds like I usually do. Also, they gave me a .5mg prescription for clonezepam (spelling is probably wrong). She said those were incase of a panic attack or if I'm feeling one coming on. They don't interact in any way with the citalopram do they? (I'm a scaredy cat). Thank you for your reply!!

• Posted

Hey Ashley,It will take time for you to get use to it. I was on citolopram(celexa) for a time.It worked for me. I am thinking that the side effect I had was in the bedroom.lol. I was working and working,and couldn't quite get there. We only worry about that when we are feeling good, so right now you need not worry about that, ok. I was scared too when I started  taking  meds. We just have to trust, an I am so glad I did. Honest, any little side effect that you might,maybe have, are little things like I said. The clonazepam is if you need something right now. Once the other daily med gets in your system, you should not need that. If after at least 3weeks you are not feeling good,then you need a med check.Maybe something else or dose upped if your doing good on it so far. No there is no interaction with those 2 meds. Feel better soon. Keep me posted,cause I care. cheesygrin

• Posted

Haha I hope I don't get problems in the bedroom from it... I haven't had much of a drive since my anxiety started going bonkers..was hoping feeling better would amp it up. Lol. I will definitely keep you posted on it. I will take the clonezepam if I feel a panic attack coming on. Thank you Kimberly for caring!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.