Doctor refuses to give medication

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm distraught. Suffer from BPD, depression and anxiety. My NHS psychiatrist have been giving me anti depressants and I have tried other meds as well, eg. mood stabilizers. However most of them haven't worked or I have had bad side effects. My psychiatrist has now said that obviosuly medicine doesn't work for me, only therapy can help me. He refuses to prescribe medication to me, even though I'm suicidal. He just said if that's how I feel I have to go the hospital. He said he doesn't believe in sedatives. What can I do? I can't cope without meds, am shaking and my heart is beating,having panik attacks, can't sleep etc. Would I be able to get meds from a private psychiatrist if I somehow find the money to be able to afford it? 

Many thanks for your help in advance. 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I sgree with no sedatives. You probably need to go to a private doc now.they will make their oen evaluation and discuss with you options.
  • Posted

While on a psychiatric ward someone slit their wrist. I found her it was horrific. Two pints of blood on the floor.

Protecting us?

If anyone is intent on harming/committing suicide they will find a,way but should this have happened on a secure ward with hourly obs? X

• Posted

I have had the same been on meds for five years suffer ptsd n manic depressiion panic attacks got rushed to hospital as thought i had mini stroke not putting me on any more meds till i get reassesed at stroke clinic i have had sudden wutgdeawels feel suiicidal n extreme paranoia not good going to doc tomorrow need something
  • Posted

I have experienced the very same problem at my own GP. I have visited them 7 times with depression and anxiety. I have now  quit my job and will be homeless within 2 month if I do not improve my mental health. I took it upon my self to source some sertraline 100mg enough for a 3 week course.  I am onto day 9 and the improvement is noticeable in my outlook on life. My GP told me to stop taking them although he agreed I was in better mood and manner than the previous consultation where he refused me any medication at all. I have lost a £35,000 a year job my partner is due to give birth in 3 month to my first child. This should be the happiest days of my life and they seem

Hell bent on refusing to help in my time of need. My advice would be buy your own medication from Germany online. No alcohol and 2/3 weeks maximum  prescription then reduce to zero until another serious bout occurs which could be a year, 2 year later. Each time u take a course it will make you stronger and send you on the path you need for recovery. Not every drug works for everybody so it is important to research or experiment till you find something that works for you. I tried diazepam 3 year ago my first attempt without help from GP didn’t end very well. Memory loss, vivid wild dreams that seemed actually real which made me start questioning reality. Now I have tried sertraline and I would recommend them as a friend recommended and gave me his left over prescription which had guided him through a separation and house move after a 20 year marriage involving 2 young children. Best present a friend has given me in a long time .......

• Posted

You have bipolar disorder yet you are not on medication for it? Were you ever on meds for it?

What meds would you like to be on - did you stop taking the medication because it wasn't working because if you weren''t taking it regularly then there is no point in him prescribing it.

You say you are suicidal or do you just have thoughts of suicide. I had suicidal thoughts for 4 years after leaving hospital (where I was for 8 months). I didn't really act on them.

What he means is that if you are really concerned about your thoughts then you can go to A&E.

You can phone the Samaritans to whom you can talk but they don't give advice.

You could also go to MIND.

I don't know you situation but you want to do some activity.

I would observe that your post seems quite well constructed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.