Doctor's reaction

Posted , 9 users are following.

Last week I made mention to the Dr (not my regular Dr) re the damage Statins have done to me. She said that all disappears as soon as you stop taking the drug. I said well it hasn't with me and I done a lot of research on the internet and she of course said don't believe everything you read on the internet. Has anyone experienced this?

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

One hundred percent agree with Jude and Loxie. I have regained my health after weaning myself off statins. Statin sales are an annual 20 billion dollar bonanza for the pharmacuetical conglomerates in America alone. There is also assertions that statins set the patient up for a life of illnesses, thereby ensuring users are customers for life. One must remember that the working model for pharma companies is to have every human being reliant on at least one medication because their purpose is not about health, it's money.

I would recommend the viewing of "Marketing Madness," a dvd re: the growth of pharma companies and their purposes. Alarming stuff.

It would also be sensible to remember that if anything ingested is causing great discomfort and multiple side effects, your body is telling you it is in distress.

I am very content in having wrested control off my doctor, who seemed intent on burning down the house to save the letterbox. Raised cholesterol and quality of life, or statins and a myriad of illneses all on top of one another? It's a no-brainer.

• Posted

I agree with you too wayne, I was at the podiatrist a few weeks ago and a new patient was filling out a form and she said to the receptionist that she was on cholesterol drugs but didn't know the name of it. She continued to say she didn't have high cholesterol but her Dr has put her on it just incase. I was totally gobsmacked

It most definitely a no-brainer for me

• Posted

Well, in my opinion the doctor is irresponsible and the patient is far too gullible.  I can't imagine taking medication without knowing the name of it and researching the side effects: it amazes me how  many people do exactly that, especially if they don't even have the condition the medication is prescribed for.

I've been on a lot of different medications since a heart attack 4 years ago (before that I only rarely had to go anywhere near a doctor or a pharmacist) and one of the very few times I didn't do some googling BEFORE I had a script made up a new gp (now an ex gp) had prescribed a medication which according to the manufacturers should NEVER be taken by anyone who'd had a heart attack!

• Posted

It's heartening (pun intended) to read comments from like minded people here. Jane, I'm so sorry to read that you are suffering long term effects of statins with muscle pain and depression - not to mention the anger that a medicine which should have assisted you has resulted in a diminished well-being. Here, have a big warm hug.

I too had shoulder pain - couldn't lie on the right side of body, also had hair loss, and the horrible discomfort of restless, aching muscles that I wanted to flex out of my body - a whole list of worrying ailments that had me baffled and that I did not connect to statins because they manifested some 12-18 months later. Then one day it occurred to me that a heart attack would not result in an avalanche of issues, and that it was not the heart attack but the drug that was the problem. The doctor had never once acknowleged this. Research opened my eyes. The arrogance of the doctor who kept insisting on the use of a drug that was poisoning my system infuriated me.

Jude, I was the same. I hardly knew how to spell the word doctor let alone need one in the fifty years prior to my heart attack. High cholesterol is a family trait in our tree - my father had heart problems and died aged 90 in 2012 - just months before I had my turn despite a good diet and daily exercise. Ignorance was bliss, and although I am more mindful of what I eat and continue to walk absolutely everywhere, I refuse to worry about 'what-ifs' and the fear-mongering of any 'expert.'

• Posted

High cholesterol also seems to run in my family, my parents have very high cholersterol. I don't know aout gparents but my paternal g'mother died at 103 from old age/g'father from septic apendix and maternal g'father was 92 and didn't have a heart attack,g/mother cancer.

It's all the luck of the draw. So now I have to decide what to do about my pain. I have bad arthiritis in my feet possibily accerlerated because of statins. Don't know any Dr I would trust enought to follow this up.

• Posted

Oh yes,they act as if they have never heard statins can cause problems..apparently they never research the drugs they so freely prescribe as it is all over the internet..people who've had a bad reaction to them.I had a bad reaction on after only taking 10 mg a day.for a year.i will never take them again.
  • Posted

Agree absolutely. I tried all different statins in the last couple of years. All of them have left me miserable with muscle exhaustion, fatigue symptoms and a challanged memory. I have given them up in favor of any unseen risks...better to live a shorter fit life than a longer but crippled one.
    • Posted

Have you tried anything else to get your cholesterol down?   I tried non-statin cholesterol lowering medication and the same symptoms began to show up within a week so I stopped them too, but that may not be the case for everyone.   

I also use psyllium husk powder:  4 tsps most mornings in my porridge.  That might be worth a try for you too::  just be careful to NEVER take it dry, as it expands on contact with any liquid and if that does that in your throat or gullet you'll be in big trouble.

Good luck

• Posted

I totally agree with you ranjitp.....quality of life is way more important

• Posted

Thank you for your suggestion Jude; will certainly follow it. Yes, my doctor did put me on some non statin drugs which did not go down well with me either. I must share some other observations of a cardioligst here. He says that it is not only the overall cholestrol levels that should be of concern. Levels of HDL and many other factors all together determine the risk factor. My HDL is pretty good as I make it a point to include walnuts, almonds, flaxeeds, melon nuts, raisins, oats, veggies etc in my diet. He says I can skip the statins- there is a lot of undeserved hype about them, with ulterior motives I believe.
  • Posted

I have read numerous articles how you need choelesteral to function properly. How long have you been off the statins Jane?.I felt somewhat better after being off them about 4 months,however it took a good 4 years for me to feel totally myself again. I made a list with about 15 side affects and handed it to my doctor. When it first all started after takeing a low 10 mg dose for one year,my main symptoms were that of neuropathy. My arms would tingle and go numb just when having the blood pressure cuff on. My feet burned and it felt like I was walking on cactus needles. It got to the point I had such muscle weakness in my arms that my purse was hard to carry, i could not drive,muscles hurt too much. I made my husband push a shopping cart, i couldnt vacuum. I felt 30 years older and I said I wont take anything that makes life this uncomfortable. I have read alot on the subject and mostly read its only necessary for those who have had a cardiac event. I dont even know if I believe that. Some New study has just come out and they say in that study if you have a 10 percent chance of a problem you should take a statin. Been there,done that,no way will I. My husband had a heart attack. He is still on a statin. He has numbness in his feet which he now calls wooden feet.
    • Posted

Hi lee, I stopped taking them in Oct 2014, my legs don't ache or feel as weak now. I take 300mg cq10 and that has help my memory. My feet are totally ruined and riddled with arthritis so that affects and depressed me daily. I still don't feel like my old self feel a ibt apathetic most of the time, as in can't be bothered doing just about anything.I'm taking glucosamine magnesium b12 . So over myself.So I've only got another 3 years til I feel ok?
    • Posted

So sorry youve gone through so much,I never thought I would feel normal again. I used to lay in bed and cry I felt so wierd. Dont give up hope that you will get back to normal. I never thought id feel like myself. Whenever possible move as much as you can as the body tends to freeze up if not used. My husbands feet used to burn alot,now he cant hardly feel them at all, I dont know how he does it as he barely mentions it. Hes also on a statin but stays on it as he had a heart attack. I didnt move hardly at all at first,so i had some muscle atrophy,now i just look like my old overweight,cellulite self lol. keep us posted how you are doing and hopefully you will feel much better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks lee, you've given me hope.I have a girfriend that was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 18 months ago, she had a funny turn about 6 months ago and her GP put her on statins.I didn't say anything to her about it because I didn't feel I shoud dispense medical advise but as soon as her rheumatoidologist found out he told her to stop them immediately because they are 'no good for you'. Some Dr's seem to know why don't they all?So it's  New Year and I'm going to try and get back some of my mojo and try to get back to normal. Has your husband seen a physiotherapist, I also developed numbness and pins and needles in one foot and she said it was the peroneal nerve and after lots of physio and doing the excercises it's nearly completely gone. Thanks for your comments

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.