Doctor said he has done all he can do.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Saw my Dr. yesterday (12 weeks out of tkr, one week out of manipulation). Said he has done all he can do to help me. Be patient and continue with PT. Measured my flexion at 104 and extention at 6. Still in so much pain. He said only time will tell if I will ever regain full range of motion. So much for all the grand ideas I had for a speedy recovery when I enter this surgery. Will just keep plugging along on my own. Dont start PT until the 19th.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am a slow healer and knew that gefore surgery.  Slowvand steady is my moto.  Keep at it.  Read all the posts and ou will see thatbveryone is ifferent.
  • Posted

Saw consultant yesterday. .. not to go back for 6 months. .. need lots of physio to build up weal quads... my bend/ straight has never been measured ... They just said" great bend" and asked me to straighten it... still to use crutches as my knee has given way a lot. Causing me to fall .. will take time and I may always need a crutch or stick....18 weeks TKR. .
    • Posted

hi Mary

we seem to be on the same path.

i saw my Surgeon 31st December and I will see him again on 25th February where he says if I am still in pain he will investigate further.

i have always kept up with the exercises and get really down wondering why I'm still having pain and stiffness in my knee.

i guess I too will need to use a stick from now on 

I'd love to go to the pool but I know for certain I would never be able to use the steps to get in and out.

what a horrible journey this has been 

Jean 

• Posted

It certainly has been... I will message you if that's okay?
  • Posted

Hi Suzy, I am 16 weeks on Monday. Your surgeon's words sound harsh but when you start your PT you will at least not feel quite so alone. That's why I love this forum. Before I found it I was always crying. This is a horrible operation and we go through all kinds of emotions, and right when we think we have turned a corner, damn if there isn't a flight of stairs to fall down! A bit like snakes and ladders really.

Basically you need to exercise, but you can't if you are in a lot of pain. I went to my GP and got my meds sorted. And asked for a stronger one to see me through the nights. Then exercise about an hour after the meds, when they have kicked in, then ice and elevate and rest.

Listen to your body, rest if you need to and give it time to heal. 

We are all different and heal differently, but we will all get there in the end.

Caz - 16 weeks post TKR Pom in Australia

• Posted

OMG I thought that this surgery would take away my pain! I am pre surgery doing all the excel isles and lots of water excercises to strengthen the knee. Is it really that much worse than the pre op pain? 
    • Posted

Please don't worry, we are all different. I left hospital on day 3 by which time I was only on paracetamol during the day with the addition of codine to help see me through the night. (Finding a comfortable sleeping position can be hell) I've not found the excercise too painfull... Though not pain free.... And at 8weeks my surgeon is happy with my bend and I am walking normally up and down stairs and feeling generally good. 

I do tighten up when I've done too much or walked too far but for me the whole experience hasn't been as painful as I expected and the niggling pains I still get if I twist or get myself in a wrong position will I'm sure get less and less as time goes on. 

So good luck with your surgery and I'm sure you'll do fine. 

• Posted

It's really essential to get the pain medication right. I have had a lot of trouble getting bend, and they chnged my pain meds 3 times before they found one that would let me finally make some progress. Even now though, there is a lot of pain and my physio thinks I may be one of the unfortunates who don't respond much to pain meds. The PT also said though that he has hopes for my bend after he was able to force it to 105. So if you are at 104, your PT may get you the rst of the way.

Do go and get some good pain pills!!

• Posted

Hi Suzy,

I am a 69  year old  pom in Oz and 9 weeks post op, I had a really good surgeon and physio guy, but the first 4 weeks were terrible, until the staples were removed and good painkillers were prescribed not much improved. However  this week I was signed off from physio with a straight leg, a 120 degree bend, the ability to walk about 4 kilometers and climb or go down a flight of stairs. Although I think an element of good fortune was involved I did really work hard at the physio. I don't see the surgeon for 4 weeks so I will see what he says. I am carrying on my exercises as I am worried it will stiffen up if I don't. I hope this encourages you, we are all differrent and I am sure you will get the end result you are working towards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.