Doctor said I could be having absence seizures, wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I'm new here put I joined because I was hoping to get some answers and perhaps see if anyone has had similar experiences close to mine so that I could get some answers. Last August I was involved in a car accident where a semi truck hit us hard from behind and my head was thrown forward and back very fast. I don't remember having any weird feelings right after the accident but when I went back to school I started to notice things a few months later. I would be walking through the hallway and suddenly I would feel disconnected  from everything around me and I couldn't really control things. I felt like I wasn't  even there sometimes. Then I'd feel disoriented for a while. When these episodes would happen I could sometimes feel tired as well. I'd sometimes be a afraid that I had bumped into someone during these episodes or something because I wasn't aware of my surroundings. This started to happen a lot whenever I'd go to a mall and there would be a lot of movement, lights and sounds. I'd have a few times where I couldn't remember what had just happened for a few seconds and I'd be aware of that afterwards. The main feeling that I get though is that feeling of being disoriented and disconnected. I know that it's happening but I can't control when it happens and it scares me. Sometimes I'll feel light headed or extremely tired as well. This has been happening for quite a while now and my doctor has suggested that it could be absence seizures but I'm currently waiting to see a neurologist to see what the next step is. However I probably won't get to see one soon since it does take a while to get in so I was hoping to get some help before then. I'm going back to school in a few weeks and I know that it's going to be hard to deal with this. If anyone has any suggestions on what they find helpful would be much appreciated. I'd love to know if anyone has had a similar experiences or has had similar symptoms. I know that this is going to be a long process for me but I'd love any help I can get along the way.

Thank you for your time

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hello roselle

i have absent seizures and a tonic epilepsy i have also had a couple of ca tonic seizures as well what you are describing is very much what happens when i have absent seizures they can be brought on from what you describe from your car accident i suffered brutal treatment as a child to the head and have been having sesiuriers or moments as some people call it since i was five went undisguised till i was 40 i thought that i was just a mental case ant would push them aside now they have put thru the ringer with tests and scans and observation in hospital for 7 days  take not of when you have these sezuriers keep a dairy this should include things like surroundings smell food that you have eaten time weather etc as all of this helps you i have been on so many different meds  it take time to find the wright balance it is not an overnight cure i am now 50 and can say with this new med i have finally gone one month no seizure that i can rember this does not say that i have not had what they call petite mall seizures as some times these happen and i dont know they have happened some times after a seirues i sleep for hours and then forget what happen prior to that day.

hope this helps.ps sorry for the spelling errors i also have problems with that too

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I will for sure be more observant of my surroundings when these episodes happen and when they do, thank you so much for telling me that! I really appreciate as well you being able to share your experience with epilepsy to help me better understand my symptoms.

Wishing you all the best! smile

-Roselle  

• Posted

i am so happy for you that you are getting results and thierfore going in the right direction for help and support 

remember to keep notes and let your family and friends know that if they see somthing happen get them to write it down as well . it might also pay to get a medi alert brac;et or necklace  this is handy if you are out in public and somthing happens it let the abulance or police know how to help they have some quite trendy ones now .

thinikng of you

petrambiggrin

• Posted

Hi Roselle,

I am oh so familiar with your experience. You are doing exactly what you should to deal with your medical condition: reaching out for support and information. I don't know if my advice will help you but I beg of you not to worry. Know that you have had these symptoms/events for close to a year, you've tolerated/experienced them without knowing what they are. When you do get a diagnosis know that the only thing that has changed is you've been empowered by the knowledge of the medical professionals; KNOW you are still the same person.

My experience was similar although I had no known injury that triggered the odd out of body sensations that began when I was 18yo. This is what I felt: it would begin with an "aura" -a knotting nausea in my gut that would creep up to my throat, into my mouth and then inside my head I felt disconnected from myself, overwhelmed with a feeling of deja vu I could see and hear but could not react, could not speak a feeling so strange I thought I'd been abducted by aliens (!) as the first time this happened I'd been sleeping out in a field by myself awaking with a headache having difficulty thinking and finding words an acute and lasting loss of memory of anything of my life, I was so tired and confused for days and then began the auras that went into my head lasting less than a minute but affecting my entire day as I'd have a headache that would not go away I'd be oh so tired finding it difficult to think clearly losing my short term memory and having to nap to get rid of these symptoms.

Intitially I was treated only for the headache by my general practitioner-no referal to a neurologist.  Things got worse in that I no longer had the aura as a warning my world would suddenly be all in my head, that same feeling of not being myself being a different person dissociated from my body and my surroundings and then the dreaded loss of short term memory the headache the tired brain that needed to sleep to feel normal.

I had triggers. When I awoke after a nights sleep if I dozed off again I guaranteed myself a seizure: I learned to get up as soon as I woke up.  They clustered around my menstrual cycle.  I needed to avoid large groups as I'd feel stressed and afraid.  I was so afraid of these feelings. I was diagnosed by a neurologist at 20 yo with partial seizures of unknown origin (aka "etiology"-the majority of seizure have no known cause: no tumor or brain defect etc) through painless tests. You'll probably have the same tests: and EEG (electroencephalogram) that traces the electrical brain patterns from all parts of your brain. The goal is to find to origin of the seizure by trying to make you have one: no sleep the night before, (this stresses your brain), placing electrodes on your head and also monitoring your hearts electrical activity and your blood pressure.  You'll be lying down to sleep then awoken to irritate your brain, they'll use flashing lights to do the same all the while you'll have a medical proffesional there to watch and support you. Scary, but the outcome will drive the engine of medical knowledge to your treatment. You'll have a CT scan of your head-quick and again painless to see if there is an anatomical reason you are having these events.

Take note of what triggers these events. You say you feel you can't control things: know I mean KNOW that you are not out of control as you have no control of any of this: you are not choosing to have a seizure. I finally learned to just let it happen, don't fight because you have no weapon to stop the activity in your brain. I began to experience my seizures as an adventure in my brainsmile So what can you do? You can choose to take care of yourself in ways that can potentially limit these events, things like getting plenty of sleep. There are many others you can research to help you empower yourself with knowledge. 

Know there are medications that can help.  I was initially put on a medication that did not help and had side effects I could not tolerate. The next medication stopped my seizures. I had regular follow ups with my neurologist and at the age of 30 stopped the medication. I haven't had a seizure since. I was however, effected for years but the emotions of my diagnosis of epilepsy. Why? I was young and had no support from my family and there was no organization to reach out to. I felt like "epilepsy" was stamped on my forehead, that I was not the strong healthy intelligent athlete who was going to fufill her dreams and live an enriching life. Once diagnosed and left on my own to deal with a chronic condition I stopped working toward my dreams and became chronically depressed, anxious, and isolated myself. Not one of thee actions enhanced my life in any way.  It took me decades to find a peaceful place in my own head.  I'm crying remembering how lost I was.  I won't say I wish it never happened because that is impossible. It did happen. I can't change that. I learned so much about myself; I know those trying times made me who I am today. It will give me solace if my words help you. You have already reached out for support. Please please know it is normal to be afraid and it is a strong person who asks for help.

I'm with you in spirit. I'll help you in any way I can so that you can face this as a condition not a life sentence.

Sincerely,

Nancy

• Posted

Hello Nancy, 

Thank you so much for your reply! This has really helped me a lot reading your reply and has also  brought me peace of mind. I'm glad to know the procedure now as no one has really explained it to my before so thank you so much for that! I'm so thankful that you could share your experience here and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. It's hard for me to describe the symptoms but it's such a relief that others understand what I'm going through. 

Thank you again for all your help smile

-Roselle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.