Doctor said to double my dose and I didn't

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

Last year my doctor told me to double my dose, I completley ignored her as I knew it was a passing moment, and it was and it passed and I came through it with out doubling it. However around about 8 months ago I hit a major depressive patch and I'm still not thruogh it. My son went to live with his dad and it think it is centered around that however even through I know my son has made the right choice I can't pull my self out of it, I have been exerciseing and trying to keep busy going on holidays going out for dinner but I am so numb.

I'm currently on 75mg Venlaflaxine which the doctor wanted to double to 150mg last year

I'm wondering to follow her advice now? Iam asking for help as I do have some stange sideaffects with this medication

When I forget to take it for 24hrs I come down with vertigo like sympotms when I walk the ground feels like a bouncy castle and I feel like my head is full of helium and it feels like its floating around with a simimual sensation to when your on a plane and its bumping around.

I'm worried that these senations will get worse, or if I forget to take it I will be written off completley

Also, I belive they may have cased some weight gain which of course is not helping self esteam

Hoping to touch base with anyone else that had doubled their dose and what happend

I have had clinical depression for the past 20 years

Look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hatchers. I have some understanding of this drug as I'm currently tapering off. I was initially placed on 75mgs, then 150mgs, 225mgs and then 300mgs. When it worked, I felt able to have a life, work, do keep fit and sleep. I did put on weight and sweated all the time. What I very quickly did realise was missing a dose would bring on similar symptoms you describe. I can't tell you to double up, that has to be your decision along with your Gp. If you are struggling on 75mgs then you may need to consider this or try something else. Talk to your Gp. She only has your best interests at heart. Try not to miss doses, that does not help, as you have found out. Let me know how you get on and good luck!! Julia 

• Posted

Hi Hatcher's

I'm currently on 375mg venlafaxine. The withdrawal side effects of this drug are particularly bad but pretty much every antidepressant has withdrawal symptoms to some degree or another. Venlafaxine is one of the few antidepressants that is thought NOT to cause weight gain. The first time I was on it, I lost weight but this time I have gained a little (not sure if it's due to the venlafaxine or comfort eating though).

As Julia has said, only you can decide if you should increase your dosage or not. I agree, a chat with your doctor is probably a good place to start.

Good luck

• Posted

I started on 37.5 mg and gradually increased up to 150 mg which my GP says is a normal dose. I am taking one tablet a day which is the extended release tablet. I was changed to this drug as it less likely to cause excessive weight gain.
  • Posted

Hello. Thanks for replying. Next available appintment with the doctor is this time next month. In the meantime im going to up it by half instead of the full double. At least that way I will have a few weeks knowing what an increased dose is.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi. I was very much like you. Really worried about side effects of increasing a dose. I also get dizziness from time to time but I think this is brought on by feelings of anxiety and not so much the drug. But I do wonder at times.

I was very worried about increasing by 37.5 but I did, it's been a few weeks and I have had no side effects at all.

Maybe like you mentioned increase half the dose and give it a couple of months before deciding to increase further. The half increase maybe all that you need.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

I have gained a bit of weight on It, but I have been eating a lot more. I have taken many anti deps in the past and this one has been the best for me.

• Posted

Hi Hatchers, not exactly how I went through my anxiety-depression. But was definitely caused by a life event like yours I think having the chance to use "talking therapy" alongside the medication is a very helpful thing even though one doesn't think so at the time Patricia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.