Doctor says ibs, I think something else

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I've been to the doctors on numerous occasions with near constant stomach/abdominal bloating, cramping and pressure on my diaphragm and every time I go they just fob me off and give me the same info about ibs printed off the computer. Tried lots of tablets which haven't been successful. Getting fed up now that none of the doctors care and make me feel like a hypercondriac. If only they could feel how I feel. Does anybody have the same symptoms or have any idea what could be wrong?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sounds familiar. First have them check gluten intolerance   Very common. Next check out on Google the Fodmap diet. Can recommend Symprove. (Again on net)good luck
  • Posted

Am very similar to you Mick, my doctor said might be hiatus hernia, which is more likely with women over 50 who are overweight Aand it can cause gerd etc.
  • Posted

Im 25 and pretty slim, is symprove the same sort of product as yakult?
  • Posted

Hi mick

I have had all the bloating and have had celiac test but was negative,just trying gluten free my GP said it can be wheat and dairy although not celiac.

Can you not see another GP in the practice f you keep getting fobbed off don't take no for an answer,you are not a nuisance that is what they are there for.

• Posted

Not really. It is a pro biotic but you would probably have to drink gallons of yakult to see any benefit. Symprove is a liquid culture and highly concentrated. Developed in conjunction with one one London teaching hospitals and targeting IBS. A lot of people,including myself,have found it highly effective when all else has failed. Downside,it's expensive but shop around for best suppliers. If you type in the name you can read testimonials and also sources. Amazon aren't bad but not the cheapest. Afraid getting to grips with tummy problems is a long haul. I assume you've had an endoscopy   If not,insist. Keep trying. David
  • Posted

Hi Mick,

Lifestyle! I have been where you are...and it took years to finally accept the diet/digestion link...which one would think is obvious.  The solution is right on your dinner plate. 

You need to keep REGULAR and ....everything will be fine. When you eat constipating foods and you don't eat enough fruits and vegetables in a day and maybe don't drink enough water...your bowels block up.. Imagine, meat and other putrifying foods release gas as they stay inside too long. In an attempt to rid itself of these contents,  the muscles in your bowel walls  work hard (cramping)  to push along the bowel contents. To keep your insides working well you can do the following:

1. Eat the NHS Food Pyramind guidelines of 6 - 10 servings of vegetables and fruits per day. No more beige meals! Only delicious, jewel coloured vegetables on your dinner plate.  

2. Get some exercise every day to keep things moving...whether it be walking or a sport or an exercise class. 

3. Limit or better, eliminate constipation causing foods such as white rice, cured meats which are  salty like ham, salami, hot dogs, too much meat in general, salty foods like crisps, dairy and tea until you get things under control.

4. omit dairy products from your diet if you can...or limit them and replace them with delicious almond milk.

5. Drink plenty of water. (I have a pitcher by my computer so first thing in the morning I drink down 2 full glasses). For every cup of coffee or tea, both of which are diuretics (cause you to pee) you have to take one cup of water to replace the water lost.,...and then drink a cup of liquid such as water to be a cup ahead.

6. I often take 1 tsp of psyllium husks (Metamucil or Fybogel being the expensive but identical alternative) in the mid afternoon in a tall glass of water. 

7. If you have particularly sluggish bowels, take 2 -3 tablets of the mineral magnesium citrate before bed. In the morning you will produce a foot long, soft, stool that passes in 3 seconds. And that's it, no pain, no cramping, no trapped gas. Everything should pass easily. You will need to gauge whether to take 2 or 3 tablets of magnesium often depending on how bulky your stool was from the previous day. You should be able to eliminate everything in one fell swoop in the morning. You will learn that in order to avoid the intense cramping and discomfort,  you need to be on top of your bowel activity.

Because of acid indigestion and discomfort after meals and my meal just sitting in my stomach not moving so it seems...which has been a problem for about 6 months, I have just started taking apple cider vinegar (1 TBSP in a glass of water) 20 - 30 minutes before meals. From other posters testimonies and so far my own, I feel so much better after meals. Barb suggested adding stevia sweetener to it and it is much more palatable. 

When you have IBS as we all have, you will do anything to avoid the intense pain of bowel cramping. If we all just drank plenty of water, filled our dinner plates with colourful veggies and moved our bodies more, we would be fine. Listen to your body. Lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle! Treat your bowels well and they will thank you. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi milk yer I had exactly the same trouble couple of questions are you on any heart tablets things like statins?? 

• Posted

No nothing
    • Posted

I had similar symptoms as you and I found out that I had a hernia and that my heart tablets were also causing me stomach problems... Have you had camera's up an down? 
  • Posted

No having that done hasn't even been mentioned
  • Posted

hi mick

i am in the exact position you are in for over 3 years i have had test after test 11 admissions to hospital and all the different pills there is and i am still in great pain,at the begining i was told it was one thing then it was another.finally they have came up with this relativlly new condition called extrem hyper-sensativity syndrome. but as you i have this gut feeling that its something else because my symptoms just dont match what i am being told,my feeling is they really dont know and thus get more or less fobed off,i asked for a second opinion wich got me nowhare as i did not evan get an appointment with any other doctor as they said they looked at my files again and said there was nothing more that could be done. so sorry that i can be of no help to you but i know how you feel.

• Posted

If you really beliveve it is something else,something serious maybe, then go private. You will get seen quickly and they will roll out the red carpet for you. Is your health worth it? I tend to think that a lot of people with ibs

suffer a lot and it is a greatly under rated thing, so maye you do have it, it might also explain why it does not seem to improve. Have you tried to help yourself with diet changes etc? Look up ibs diets if you want to give it a try for first time.

• Posted

hi carmel

when you say serious i dont think so well not life threatning as i would be dead by now,when i say symptoms dont match what i am being told .for example my condition deteriorates as the day goes on or rather the longer i am in an upright position so usually by after teatime i am in great pain with bloating cramping and my stomache feeling like it is a chauldren waiting to boil over.now i take my pain killers/morphine/sleeping pills and another pain capsule and go to bed sometimes within that first hour my stomach settles down and the pain goes away i mean i sometimes litterally feel it decrease untill its completly gone sometimes i fall asleep first.now whare in thin type of fourm on a gut releated issue have you heard that.it just does not add up,andyes there is the private side of things which a while ago i counted up what the price would have been had i been private for all the tests and procedures i have had done to me i the last 3 years and it came t £14.500 so if i went privite i would be treated like a lord and i would have to do all these tests again for there benifit and belive me when i tell you some of them are not very plesant.and finally i have not got that sort of money for that as its a year and a half that i have been off work this time and manny times prior to that.so private is for the haves but not for the have nots

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.