Doctor sent me for chest xray got low ferritin really worried please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had low iron in January after loss of a baby was put on iron tablets for 2 months had blood done and got low ferritin really worried as to why sent for chest xray and more bloods

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about your baby, it must have been hard.

I have low iron, plus low ferritin, and was sent for chest X-ray due to breathlessness caused by severe anaemia. They were OK.,Had more blood tests for folic acid levels, that's low as well.

Your Dr is just going through the standard tests, don't worry. They need to find out why you are anaemic.

• Posted

Hi , are you taking supplements, and if so what are you taking, how long , and has the breathlessness gone away? How long did it take?
    • Posted

Was on ferrous sulphate plus folic acid for a month, then got appointment for sigmoidoscopy and endoscopy so had to stop for a week.

Just started taking again , need to take for at least three months, My iron is so low that I have no stores in ferritin.

Breathlessness was starting to ease a bit, but bad as ever again, but found I have stomach uocers, so probably bleeding from them, need to get those healed now, so it's going to take time.

My chest xray was fine, my heart is ok. The Dr just has to be thorough.

• Posted

Your welcome, you maybe need more iron tablets for a bit longer, can't rush things, I wish we could.

• Posted

Got some more of doctor yesterday. As the 1st was only for 2 months
  • Posted

Jayne, try not to worry. Ferritin is your stored iron and it can take a long time for it to restore. Depending on the type of iron and the dosage..it may be a slow process. The chest X-ray may be because of symptoms you may have shared with the Dr., like shortness of breath. That is a symptom of low hemoglobin or ferritin and not related to anything of concern.
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

Thetests the dr hs ordred are just routine ones to find out why you ae anaemic. Iknow it is worrying but at least he or she is doing the right thing by you.

Been there,  worn the T shirt etc and still here many, many years later!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.