Doctor suspects Coeliac Disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've recently visited the doctor and the suspect that I have Coeliac Disease. Personally, I hope I do. It would explain my symptoms perfectly and I'd finally know what to do about them.

I'm trying to get myself prepared just in case it is Coeliac Disease. Has anyone got any advice? My family is really supportive and are kinda hoping the same thing I am.

I'm an 18 year old female and I live in a large town with a fairly good access to free from food, but I'm not so sure about my college.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi MayzyDayz

Well I certainly hope that you do not have Celiac, just the cross contamination issues are horrible, never mind what it does to your intenstines each time.

If the test come back negative you may still be gluten intolerant. So go gluten free for a few months to see how you feel. If gluten isn't your issue then you may want to do an eliminate diet to figure out what is.

If it is Celiac do your research! Forums like this are excellent. I also like 'Gluten Free Faces' and 'Gluten Dude'.

Are you having a blood test or endoscopy done? Some blood test do come back with a false negative. An endosopy is the gold standard for Celiac testing. And you must still be eating a gluten diet before the endoscopy.

Let us know how things go!

Bob

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. :D I'm getting a blood test done and then am endoscopy.
  • Posted

Hi MayzyDayz,

I understand your comment that you hope you do have Coeliac Disease and I understand Bob's response. No doubt you are like the rest of us. Sometimes the symptoms are so terrifying you think you must have cancer. Knowing it is, "just" Coeliac temporarily eases your mind.  HOWEVER, Bob no doubt knows the disease intimately. It can be terribly debilitating. It is frustrating to be so careful only to get sick for seemingly no reason whatsoever. It is equally frustrating to carry the social stigma of being a paranoid hypochondriac or attention starved drama queen. 

We understand your feelings.  We know your emotions and the struggle it is to fight the fear your symptoms bring. AND WE SURVIVE!  

I suggest you write a journal not only for food but precisely to document your various symptoms.  When you are in the middle of an attack it is easy to forget that you have been there before.  Each seems worse, each seems more dire.  Knowing, from your own written words, that you have experienced these symptoms before and ultimately survived will minimize the extent of your anxiety.  Loads of love and prayers!

• Posted

If it does turn out that you have CD, I suggest that you join Coeliac UK.  This organisation has a lot of useful information for those who have the problem and also provides a directory of gluten free foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.