Doctor suspects Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

Posted , 6 users are following.

**Does anyone else have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi i was diagnosed last year. i had a mri scan which showed i also had extra cervical ribs. i already had started with nerve damage to my right had. mainly my grip. i was told they couldn't get the nerve damage reversed, but by removing the extra rib on effected side they would stop any further damage. i had the op in sept 2018 i was supposed to be in the op 1.5 hrs that turned into 4 hrs. i lost half my blood in op and stayed in hospital 4 days instead of overnight. the pain after subsided after about 10 wk i was on tramadol and morphine then cocodamol.s, and ive started getting back to how i was. im still on sick and building my strength bk up by swimming and weights x

• Posted

Jeez, how old are you. What were your symptoms before surgery? My entire right arm feels as if it had been crushed. a deep ache. I take lots of Gabapentin. You'd think someone would have noticed an extra rib? was it right under armpit?

What happened in surgery/hospital? what are warnings? But you think it solved problem?

Ever tried the corticosteroid shots in Cervical spine? Would like to hear from you. Kris

• Posted

hia kris

ive had pain in my right shoulder for years,. which then started .in my arm. i started to not beable to pinch, nip, use can opener or scissors i went to docs many times. told id pulled a muscle. then arthritis lol. symptoms got worse over years. many visits later i saw a new doc for a water infection and mentioned my arm again

she examined me and noticed my right hand had alot less padding than my other she sent me for tests they electrocutes me lol which showed less nerve activity. i then went for mri which showed extra ribs. they believed this was crushing my nerves from my neck which go to my arm. they removed rib and some damaged muscle, then decompressed the nerves.im currently building strength back up in my arm. the nerve damaged i wont get back but it shouldn't get any worse hopefully. im 47 if theyd have taken notice sooner the nerves wouldn't have been as damaged and would have been managed through physio and change of posture but hey ho.

• Posted

So, Nicola, you are better, out of pain after surgery?

Terrible that so many times doctor did not healp you.

How could no one notice an extra rib?

I don't think I have extra rib; but I have all the symptoms: neck pain, entire right arm pain (ache); trouble w right hand, sometimes just cannot write or type; washing a window, sweeping, so many things cannot do at all -- like Never lie on right side; never.

• Posted

posture is a lot to do with it, as slouching this is trapping nerves from neck thru yo arm. i corrected my posture prior to op and had massages n also used heat pads and hot waterbottle to relax muscles. i havent had pain in my neck shoulder arm since the op. but it took over 7/8 wks of server pain no use of arm post op. its not too bad now twinges on my scar but im optimistic . hope you get sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.