Doctor told me to stop talking propranolol as it lowered my heart rate

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, i am just looking for some advice..

in november my GP put me on propranolol 40mg x3 daily for anxiety at that point my heart rate was fine just like it normally is. i went back a month later because my symptoms wasn't getting any better they was getting worse- he checked my heart rate and that was fine so he upped my dose to 80mg 2x daily... i found i got worse! so i went back to the GP on the 24/1/20 my heart rate had lowered! so he dropped my dose to 40mg x3 daily but said only take 2 if possible... 2 weeks later i had to call for an ambulance as i had a massive panic attack. my heart rate was 41bpm at that point.the ECG was fine so the paramedics called my GP who told me to stop taking them. i went to see my GP the day after my heart rate was back up at 56bpm so he told me to come off them. i am now day 4 without and i feel shaky, anxious,sick,tired, fast heart when i do something. i have read about the tablets and it says you shouldn't just stop the medication? what can i do? im scared i might have a heart attack? im normally a healthy 23 year old female.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sarah,

Poor you! I'm sorry to hear your story. You were on rather a high dose! Propanolol does slow the heartbeat, and stops you getting shaky. I'm surprised your GP didn't find an alternative for you. Don't worry about your heart - you are very young, and will have a tough, young heart.

Presumably you are waiting for some sort of counselling? While you wait, I would try all the sensible things: no caffeine (try decaffeinated tea and coffee); get outside, enjoy the fresh air and walk as much as possible; watch soothing TV - try old sitcoms like "As time goes by" or "The good life" or feel-good films like "While you were sleeping". DO NOT watch the news or worry about the state of the world. You are not being selfish - your priority is to get yourself better. Sing along with your favourite songs. Swim or wallow in a hot bath - water helps. Watch or read things that make you laugh, and/or spend time with people who make you laugh.

All the very best, Helen

• Posted

Sorry about your experience ! This medication is for lowering blood pressure and would imagine its dangerous in high doses or mixed with other medications or alcohol and such I would go to another doctor for advice. This drug saved me from horrid anxiety and allowed me to function normally! My heart used to beat out of my chest and I shook and had a hard time catching my breath. I would stutter and sweat during high anxiety and stressful situations .I take this medication on an as needed basis.Like public speaking for my job or other situations that bring on bad anxiety. Its wonderful for anxiety if used in moderation.

• Posted

just woulnderd how long you have been on this medication, my GP as just prescribed me with two 10mg 3 x daily

do you think this is a large dose, im slowly weening of sertraline. you said you are taking them when needed, did not

know you could take them like that. was your heart rate ok, & did it help your Anxiety. Are they ok to take over a long period of time or just short term. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

How are you feeling now? Are you still withdrawing?

I'm in the same boat, I was on 80mg a day ( 2 x 40mg) but the side affects I was having we're awful so I've stopped taking them. With everything going on I can't seem to get through to my GP so unsure what to do. I didn't realise I would feel so ill going cold Turkey so wondering if I could carry on taking but cut down or now that I'm on Day 2 of not taking whether I carry on. How did you find it?

I'm also having shakes, headache, nausea and fast heart rate when moving although the nausea I had taking them we're worse.

Any advice welcome. ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.