Doctor wants to change!

Posted , 8 users are following.

so I have been on citalopram 20mg for 5 weeks. and my anxiety is still as bad. doctor wants to change me straight onto sertraline. has anyone done this change? he said I can switch straight over but after reading so much on this I thought I would need to wean off one and onto another. feel like I'm back at square one!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I guess its a GP an not a psychiatrist?? He sounds like he should do some research about how antidepressants work. 5 weeks and change why? it is not enough time at all to see a difference at all. Plus changing without withdrawing what? why? will just make you 10 times worse you will have horrid withdrawal symptoms plus horrible side effects of seatralline. Just give this med time to work at least 8 weeks...at least. I was still a mess at 5 weeks.

• Posted

Then your doctor knows nowt about these meds - these meds need a good 6 months or more to be given a chance to see if they'll work for you.

5 weeks? Not even started yet ........

• Posted

Jut seeing a light after 15 weeks and still very anxious

• Posted

I've swopped from citalopram to sertraline, was on citalopram 8 weeks made my hair fall out so had to stop. Didn't help me but think it can take several weeks. Doctor told me to stop have a weeks break then start the sertraline, I would wean off it as it"s definitely wacked up the anxiety , I started on 25mg sertraline then gradually increased. Not helping yet but I'm probably in citalopram withdrawal, and others say you need to few more weeks to see if it helps.

• Posted

everyone is right honestly x 5 weeks is nothing on these meds . I got to 12 weeks last time and although I had improved I still wasnt back to normal so listened to my gp and swapped to sertraline. after 8 weeks of withdrawals and terrible side effects I'm now back on citalopram and in a worse situation since swapping x

stay with citalopram 5 weeks is nothing on these meds x I was on 20mg for 6 weeks and still a mess and my go said that's way too early to know x

• Posted

Its very hard, but patience is necessary in revovery. Im 6 mths plus now because I messed with doses every time I blipped. My advice is give is 12 weeks on the same dose and then if you have seen zero improvement consider other options. Some people are extremely lucky and get a quick fix, but they are few and far between. Have you got any diazapam? It helps for crisis times and if you are struggling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.