Doctor won't check for Fibro?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been having aches and pains for years now, but they've never been as intense as they are now. My doctors have ran so manu tests on me, but still have no answers. It's gotten so bad that I'm either bed bound or house bound.

About three months ago I started passing put whenever I got up and moving around. It was accompanied by extreme dizziness,  sharp pains all over my body, aching in all of my joints, severe headaches, and an exhaustion that came from just walking across the room. I was hospitalized for eight days and they diagnosed me with atypical migraine and atypical seizures,  even though my EEG came back completely normal. The day after I was released from the hospital, another car crashes into us and I suffered from a pretty severe concussion.  After that, everything got so much worse. The pains all over my bodh were even more constant, I passed out more, there's never a moment when I'm not dizzy, and I honestly get so confused. My boyfriend's parents like to jokingly call me tipsy because when I walk, I stumble and need something to support on, I cant remember anything anymore, and sometimes when I talk I slur and slip up on all of the words. My legs and arms get sharp pains in them and twitch. My hands and feet sometimes are numb. It's the scariest feeling ever. Now my doctors have changed my diagnosis to just depression and anxiety, wanting to send me to a counselor or psychologist. I don't mind. I'll talk to one but when this all started, I wasn't depressed or anxious about much at all. I'm not happy now because I can hardly go the bathroom by myself and I had to stop working, but before I was very fine. I was working two jobs, exercising, going out with friends, and my boyfriend, whom I live with,  makes really good money. 

I'm nineteen, almost twenty, and I don't want to live this way but the doctors just keep saying I'm depressed. I don't feel that way. After doing some research online, I've found people with fibromyalgia that have all of the same symptoms, even the passing out and dizziness, but when I brought it up to my doctors they just brush me off. Are my symptoms really like fibromyalgia and how do I get my doctor to check for it? I can't live this way forever. I was working to save up money for school so I wouldn't have student loan debt and talking about getting married, but now my main goal for the day is not to burst into tears because I'm hurting so bad. What do I do? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also, I would like to add that they've done MRIs, MRAs, CAT scans, blood work, EEGs, EKGs, a spinal tap, flip table testing, and I'm getting scoped in November. I've suffered from severe abdominal pain my whole life and they're throwing that into the mix. My doctors think that might have something to do with why I'm feeling this way, but I don't know. All of my tests have come back that I'm fine, so I don't think the doctors take my pain and exhaustion seriously. They seem to think I'm too young or something.  I need a nap after showering alone, I have chest pains, and I get breathless just walking, and I even had to get a walker, though it doesn't do much good when I'm passing out.
    • Posted

Hello Alicia,

I am so sorry to hear all that, and how you are suffering - and only 19! I have had all those tests, also and after 2years at 58years old, I was told I had Fibro. What did resonate with me, from your story, was how exhausted you felt after a shower - me too! I thought it sounded silly, but I know it to be true and for someone else to say that, good for me. So...unfortunately there is no definitive test for Fibro, moe a process of elimination. Try approaching your doctor with information from this site, I know my doctor's surgery uses it. Failing that, change your doctor. As for the counselling, don't dismiss it, I am about to embark on CBT, as suggested by my consultant and doctor. Good luck

Take care, Anne

• Posted

I do no how you feel im the same every day my gp hasent done any kind of test to see if i have got fibro he just told me i had it he didnt tell me anything about the condition i had to google it all  i have to go see a pain specialet i would see if you could get a second appinyone from another doctor if poss it is not easy deal with it all i got told was it was all down hill from hear and never a true word was said i have to go outside in a powerchair it take me all my time to hold my  just over 3 month grandson it is so hard and not many people relize what we are going through hun
  • Posted

Hi Alicia,

Sorry to hear your problems, and being so young too. Best thing for you is to get a second opinion, as I am sure there will be other doctor's in your practice. I would think all on here will agree also. Good Luck..Anne..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.