Doctor won’t refer me for biopsy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all

I'm 25, male and have a sister who has coeliac disease. Back in 2015 I had a blood test which came back as negative with a value of 4.9u/ml.

Earlier this year I started to have IBS like stomach issues which have resolved now. I also lost some weight although it has not dropped further. I am 5ft9 and weigh 66kg but these past months, no matter what I seem to eat, I can't seem to put on any weight.

I also suffer from bad dandruff, acne on my back and gum disease.

I spoke to my doctor and he sent me for another coeliac blood test back in the summer. Once again, it came back negative with value of 2.0u/ml. Iron and everything else was fine.

My doctor sees no reason to refer me for a biopsy. How do I convince him otherwise? Anyone been in a similar situation to me?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

yes very similar....I used to get negatives all the time but when I went to a different lab it came back positive. I went to 2 different doctors and had requested the blood test form from each. I then went and took out blood at one lab and 5 min later went to another lab from a different company. When I got the blood test back from each doctor one said I was completely normal but the other had a very high positive for coeliacs . You see different labs use different tests/methods so id be going to another doctor with new form and trying a different company for your next blood test but make sure your eating gluten for a while before you do the test.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Are you in the UK and was this via the NHS?

• Posted

no ..in Australia. ..we are funded by medicare..most of our blood tests are free and we have around 10 different labs that do it

• Posted

what nonsense, you have coeliac disease! sorry i am not disagreeing with you. you MUST be screened properly for this biopsies and blood tests will be the only way to tell. the camera will tell if the villi in the intestines are up or down, you HAVE to discover this - mouth ulcers are a massive sign of coeliac disease. see a different doctor or the manager, you have to KNOW what's going on! i wish you luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply you seem quite firm on your diagnosis there lol. I don't have mouth ulcers but definitely going to ask my doctor again.

• Posted

hi tempzz, i know i have definitely got coeliac disease but ONLY discovered this through biopsies, you have to be the expert - one woman on the coeliac information day i was on was diagnosed through having persistent mouth ulcers. doctors don't know it all! good luck,let us know when you're diagnosed!

• Posted

thanks for the information but I must say I find it quite odd that you seem to have arrived at a definite conclusion that I do have coeliac.

• Posted

do what you like after 12 years of fighting i was on the verge of ending my life that's why i did something, i tried to take my life over this! i now am even able to work due to the correct diagnosis, you do what you like!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.