doctors

Posted , 5 users are following.

well i finally get diagnosed after 7 years of suffering and thinking i am going insane to be told by my doctor that his advice is that i should just forget about it as there is no cure and carry on as normal, as you can imagine this has left me again felling like a fraud and unsure as were to turn to next. Has anyone else experienced a doctor like this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Whereabouts in the Midlands are you Lisa?

I must say that your doctor sounds like he has a terrible bedside manner. Some doctors still do not recognise CFS at all. I think because they don't know what to do and cannot cure it with a pill they wash their hands of it. You are entitled under the patient's charter, to a doctor who will have your best interests at heart. True, there is no cure but there are lifestyle and coping strategies to give you the best quality of life and you have a right to sound advice.

Try and talk to him again, book a double appointment if necessary so he has time for you. If not, you are entitled to consult any of the doctors in your practice.

• Posted

haha the first doctor i saw told me to trust her and that one day i will wake up and it will all just have gone away!Another said that i was depressed(dam right)another told me to go get pissed up another i had a falling out with over it!its only the last so many months that i have changed doctors and they have taken this very serious and treated me like a normal person!
  • Posted

Hi

Apparantly Cognitive Behaviour Therapy can help with CFS - my earlier post is a link to wikpedia where there it mentinos CBT can help.

Google Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and read what it says on wikipedia.

Good look to you all.

Melbi x

• Posted

Last year my ME consultant referred me to the physical health psychology department and I saw the psychologist for CBT.

I just want to say it is not a cure, but for lifestyle and coping strategies as well as understanding yourself and how you react to your condition and why, it is very very helpful. smile

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Well, I'd send your GP packing if if were you - he's not worth the time of day.....

Is there another one in the practice you could try (maybe a female one as I find them much more sympathetic with everything - sorry boys!)?

We all know there isn't a cure, but there are ways of coping as some of the other postings indicate - and it's about time ALL GPs were able to point ME sufferers in the right direction.

Made my blood boil when I read your comment Lisa - how can you just go home and forget about it!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Katiesmile

• Posted

hi, I have recently been diagnosed with ME and when I went to see my doctor I was sat in his room in tears and he said to me your hair looks nice, I don't think he knows what to do.
  • Posted

Oh dear - I had to laugh at that one. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, I do think that on the whole women GPs have a greater understanding and are more sympathetic!

What on earth would your GP have found to say if you were having a bad hair day!! :roll: :roll:

Keep logging onto this forum and we will give us as much support and guidance as we can. It might be well worth trying another GP in your practice. I've given up going to see mine now - there really doesn't seem much point and I'd rather not sit in a room with people coughing and spluttering around me unless it's an emergency. I get far more help, advice and support from this forum.

If you have time, have a read through some of our previous postings and you will get an idea of how we work (or not!!) smile We have mentioned at least a couple books that are really helpful.

Take care and keep in touch.

Katie smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.