Doctors not listening to me!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I rang doctors 2 weeks ago who said I had symptoms of depression, and said that firstly he will put me on sleeping pills. 1 week later I rang back and said I still don't feel any better and gave me stronger sleeping tablets. (Doctor doesn't even see me, he just gives a prescription to receptionist who rang to tell me)!

But I still feel like rubbish, or even worse!!! What can I do?? It's so hard!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh Jess, that is terrible, he shouldn't be giving you those things without even seeing you, I am horrified.  Can you not demand to see someone in person? 

I am so sorry that you aren't getting the help that you need.  I suppose you should put your foot down and demand better treatment, but I wouldn't be strong enough to do that for myself.  Could family or friends back you up?

Sorry I can't be of more help, I just had to reply to say how badly you are being treated and I am sure you will get better help from others on here.

Take care,

Pat xx

• Posted

Hi Jess

I really think you need to see another dr for a dr to diagnose depression you personally need to visit and go thru all symptons etc.. with him.  And sleeping pills aren't treatment for depression, sure they might help you sleep but they aren't going to address your depression or anxiety if you have that too. 

Can you see your dr or another dr and see what they say if you aren't happy with their response you could always ask for a referral for psychiatrist as they are the best judge and can prescribe meds if they feel you need them.  Unfortunately seeing a psychologist is okay for talking to but they aren't able to prescribe meds (well they can't here in Australia).

Please take care and keep us informed of how you are going.

Wishing you all the best... Tracey

• Posted

Hi Jess,

Speak to 3 different docs get alternative assessments sorry to hear of your situation

• Posted

Hi I am puzzled as to why they gave you sleeping pills when you are suffering from depression?   First doctors are very wary these days of prescribing sleeping pills and they never would (or should) give these to you without seeing you first. 

Are you in the UK and what pills have you got?  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.