Doctors orders

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Just a question about what doctor's can and cannot do. I went for my customary checkup review, which went ok until he asked what the propranolol were for i told him my history and why, to which he stated he wants me off them asap. Can he do this? I was given them by my consultant and assumed he was only one able do this. Am I wrong?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

He can, but I wonder why he wants you off them, have you been on them long, maybe your consultant told him they were a temporary measure to get you through a bad patch, I also think it depends why he put you on them to start of with, were they to help with anxiety/panic while you waited for CBT ?
  • Posted

Hi Ivan,

I worked in the NHS a long time ago, and things might have changed since then, but my understanding is that yes, your GP can change your medication. In cases like yours, it can be useful to open a dialogue with your doctor, asking why he wants to stop the propranolol. Like all beta-blockers it's not without its side-effects, and he may have taken these into consideration.

How long ago the consultant prescribed the drug might also come into the equation. If, for example, it was a long time ago and your GP feels that your condition has evolved since then, he could decide that another drug would be more suitable.

If you're seeing your consultant frequently, you could try contacting him/her via the hospital, but I know this doesn't always work in the NHS.

Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to your question. Everything depends on how long you've been on the propranolol, for what condition and why your GP wants to stop it.

• Posted

I know in the UK propranolol is no longer recomended as a first line treatment, well for anything really. Other drugs give better outcomes. He may want to see how you are without this drug and if necessary start you on a different one. You don't mention what it was originally prescribed for so its difficult to predict what might happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.