Doctors think I have SVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey I'm 20 years old and have struggled with strange heart rythems. At first it would only happen with sports like football and basketball. It would start with quick cuts on the court or landing hard. My heart would feel off. It beats fast and it feels wonky. Like the top of my heart beats differently than the bottom of it. It also POUNDS. It beats really hard one time my mom described it as getting punched by my heart when she went to feel it. Also, it lasts about a minute or two. I went to the hospital about a month ago and they said NO EXCERCISE.  So not excercising for a month, I tried to get back in shape because the DR is taking forever. I can't do anything. I can't play sports. I can't go for a run. This has caused me so much anxiett that my life feels over. I can't do what I love. I'm in constant fear that I'm going to die. What do I do? Oh and plus, I can pretty much control it. If I try to excercise, and I feel a couple weird beats, I immediately stop and focus on my breathing before my weird fast heart rate comes. When it happens I feel like I'm dying. Not sure if it's anxiety or not. Please help me. Sorry I'm all over the place, I'm just scared and frustrated. Will I ever be able to be me again? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me you might have something call SVT, of course this needs to be evaluated by a electrophysiologist, they might ask you for a echocardiogram to see if your heart is structurally normal, 24 Holter monitor and in some cases if your episodes are infrequently they put you on a event monitor.

If SVT is the heart rhythm you are experiencing and your heart is structurally normal, I can reassure you that you should not worry.

Of course there is treatment for many heart rhythm problems and this should be evaluated by your doctor.

• Posted

I just want to be able to play basketball again. I was a great player and had to quit because of it. I enjoy working out and lifting weights, but I can't do that anymore. It is frustrating watching all of my friends play and have fun, while I sit and watch and gain weight because I can't excercise. 

• Posted

Nobody can provide answers except a cardiologist after various tests - hopefully you are being investigated.  If it's SVT it's not considered life threatening.  It's pointless the hospital telling you no exercise without an explanation.  Could just be anxiety of course but you need tests to rule out anything else.  My heart thumps and feels stressed when I have indigestion or am stressed and anxious but I'm 71!

• Posted

William, I think you will be able to be you again. I know it's frustrating to sit still and wait. You or have your Mom ask the doctor to put a 30 day event monitor on you, so he can see what is really going on with your heart. Just a 7 day one won't really capture much. He needs to find out what exactly is going on in your heart and sometimes arrythmias are hard to capture in such a short time. I felt the same way when I had my heart issues, I felt like I was going to die, but the doctor assured me I wouldn't. How long has this been going on for you? I am a lot older than you, so I don't exercise as much as you do, but I would do what the doctor tells me, if he doesn't want you to exercise right now, then I wouldn't, but at the same time, call his office or have your Mom call and ask for that 30 day event monitor. It's not bad to wear and you can take it off when showering. I had one on and that's how it was captured. Hand in there, sometimes medicine is slow, but I think you will be fine. 

• Posted

It has been going on for about 3 years. I'm going to see the cardiologist this week for more tests. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.