Doctors won't listen

Posted , 3 users are following.

My symptoms include constant popping/crackling and mild fullness, but the main symptom that drives me insane is the "drippy" feeling! For as long as I can remember (I'm 28 now) I have had this "drippy" feeling. I notice it mostly when I lay on my side. For instance, if I'm laying on my right side, it will feel as though there is liquid dripping inside my left ear and vice versa. Sometimes when I am upright it will feel as though a bucket of water has tipped over in my head. It will get so bad at times that it wakes me from my sleep. I have also noticed when it gets especially bad I will have increased dark yellow/brown wax in my ears. I also have year-round allergies. I have gone through the immunotherapy shots and I take an antihistamine, use nasal spray and use a Neti-pot daily. I am starting to feel hopeless because despite these measures I do not have relief. When I have discussed this with doctors (PCPs, ENTs, allergists), they tell me my ears look fine and to continue with my allergy medication. One doctor had me on antibiotics for a few days about two years ago, but that did not change anything. I had a CT scan around that same time, but there was no evidence of fluid build-up. I don't know what to do. I feel like nobody takes me seriously. I read on this forum that Prednisone could help, but how do I go about requesting that? Is that something the doctor would just give me? I was on that for three-ish days before I started my allergy shots back in 2014, but once again, I noticed no difference (it was only three days, though). Are there any exercises, supplements, tools, alternative healthcare providers, etc. that have helped any of you?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ash, Anne will explain about the med. My ent told me to pop my ears 20 to 30x a day..can't do tht..I'm lucky to do it 5x ..I still have the full ear tht drives me batty..not all the time tho thankfully. Not sure what can help, Anne swears by steroid spray I believe. But I belueve she said you have ro take that at least 3 weeks b4 u c a difference. Sure hope wr all get help..

• Posted

Yikes! Mine are constantly popping, but when I try to hold my nose and blow out I feel like I'm going to pass out and my ears don't pop, so I never try that anymore. Thanks for your input!

• Posted

terrie,  If you are prescribed a steroid spray, you will have to be on it long term

and it won't start to work immediately.  Prednisolone is the only way forward

to get a quick response from ETD....but a long enough course for it to work.

Anne

• Posted

Yea I'm going to stay on it for awhile Anne cuz it really does help. It's like all the weird stuff in my head isn't as bad..I'm thinkin ent wants me on it awhile cuz he asked was I still using it and I said I was and he said good..so what about 4 to 6 weeks? Then oly as needed are my plans..

• Posted

Hello Ash,  You do sound in a bad way.  If you have read any of my posts, it's me that's always

recommending Prednisolone tablets.  I suffer just like you and I must say it's the weirdest feeling

having that dripping sensation.  I would definitely say you're suffering from Eustachian Tube 

Dysfunction.

Last year in April I was prescribed by my brilliant ENT consultant a 20 reducing course of the

steroid tablets.  They clear all the inflammation and get rid of the the fluid, which is in fact mucus.

I too suffer allergies and sinusitis.  you're lucky that the mucus doesn't affect your ears more by

making them block up badly, like it does mine.

I live in England and am lucky that I am able to be prescribed Flixonase Nasule Drops.  They're

brilliant and keep me clear of all you're suffering.  I now only use them when I get Post Nasal Drip,

and ear blocking, which is approximately every 6/7 days.  Because the Nasules are stronger than

the steroid sprays, one should be on them for longer than 6 weeks, however, with me only using

them as and when I've been told that's fine.

You can ask your doctor for the prednisolone, but as I've mentioned so many times before to

people it must be a longer enough course to work.  It's the blessed allergies that causes is to

make too much mucus.  Try Cetrizine antihistamine....they work fine for me.

Good luck and hope you get sorted soon, as I know how miserable and frustrating this

condition is.

Anne

• Posted

Sorry that should have read shouldn't be on the Flixonase longer than 6 weeks and not should.

Also try using Quercetin and Bromelain supplements, they are supposed to help

with inflammation.  I also take a good quality Multivitamin.

Anne

• Posted

I will have to take a closer look at my nasal spray to see if it is a steroid spray. I will also have to talk with my doctor about the prednisone treatment. I am very interested to see if that could get rid of some of the inflammation and I could then continue with my current treatments to try to stay on top of things. I just can't believe I have had this my whole life and never knew it wasn't normal for the longest time! So frustrating! Thanks so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.