Does a cystoscope detect problems with the prostate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, im a 16 year old male with a cystoscopy coming up in about a month. I was just wondering, does the prosedure look at your prostate gland at all, more specifically, can it diagnose prostatitis?

thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Greetings; at 61 years old I've had several cystoscopies in my life with a number of urological issues.

To answer your your question directly your Urologist will always check your prostate condition as well as your bladder during cystoscopy exams. I wish you well during this proceedure hoping for a successful outcome.

• Posted

Good morning John

Can you tell me why at your young age you are having a cystoscopy. Which one are you having there are 2 kinds. Both are for the doctor can check the Urethra, your prostate, and your bladder.One is called a Flexible cystoscopy . It is a fibre -optic tube with a light and a camera to look inside. This one is done in the office with a numbing gel inserted in the penis. After they wait about 10 minutes then the doctor will put the little tube inside. I have had this one many times.

With the Rigid Cystoscopy this one should all ways be done in a hospital under a general anesthesia because this one is more painful. The instrument is a solid metal tube with a light and a camera. It will be able to check the same thing but in more detail.

Both will not be able to check for prostatitis because that is a infection and more of different felling in the groin area.

If you are going to have a Rigid Cystoscopy do not let them to it without general anesthesia. Your 16 and you do have a say what they do to your body and at your age this could cause you some trauma. Life is hard enough.

Take care and please be careful............Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.