Does a negative blood test always mean no Coeliac Disease?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with IBS, mainly abdominal cramping pain and intermittent diarrhoea, about six years ago - I'm now 71.  At the time I remember my GP checking to see if I had Coeliac Disease and the result was negative.

In an attempt to try to improve the IBS, which was really getting me down, I decided to try eating gluten-free products instead of my normal bread etc.  I can't believe the difference - hardly any pain and no diarrhoea since I changed my diet, two weeks ago.  I'm seeing my GP again in a few weeks, so I'd appreciate any thoughts.  Does a negative blood test always mean that it isn't Coeliac Disease?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

No both my mum and I went gluten free after having a negative blood test. We were tested after my daughter was diagnosed and had a positive genetic test too. The first blood test only tests one antibody but your body might react with your other antibodies. The secondary tests are over £100 a go so they are reluctant to test people. I won't eat gluten now even though I don't have any diagnosis. We both noticed a massive difference after going gluten free and I have a bad reaction to the smallest amount of gluten now. Hope that is helpful

• Posted

No, I had a (false) negative result, but when I had the colonoscopy with biopsies taken, they said it was coeliac disease. The blood test for Coeliac disease, is not that reliable.

In order to have the colonoscopy done you would have to start eating gluten again for at least 6 weeks, every day, which you may not want to do if your health has improved since you gave up gluten.

I did have withdrawal from gluten for about 6 weeks afterwards and had bouts of sickness each week for about 6 weeks as I had been diagnosed with IBS many years before (more than 30 years), so there must have been a lot of damage to the gut. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.