Does a psychopath know they're a psychopath?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I wanted to ask, can a psychopath know that they're a psychopath? The reason I ask is because the last few years I have started to become aware of what I'm doing, I don't feel bad or anything but I just know it's not normal.

The last few years I have noticed that I get great enjoyment from manipulating people, getting them to do what I want and tricking them into thinking something that may not be true. It might just be something simple like hiding my mothers oven gloves from her when she is cooking and she will look for them for 15 minutes and then I'll put them somewhere really obvious and she'll be all confused as to why she didn't notice them.

There have been other slightly more serious things where I will befriend someone in school and manipulate them into doing something bad and they'll get into trouble for it. I know what I'm telling them to do is wrong because I won't do it myself, so I'll trick someone else into doing it and it makes me feel good that I have that level of control over someone. I've made girls break up with their boyfriends by installing doubt into their minds and I've caused others friendships to end by turning each against the other.

I've never caused any physical damage or severely affected anyone but I do wonder how far I could go... How far could I manipulate someone? Is there a limit? The best part about it is they think I am being a good friend and that I care and want to help so they come to me with their problems and I pretend to care and sympathise with them when in fact I honestly do not care.

I also manipulate people so I get what I want. I'm not a violent person and I never used violence or have outbursts of rage or anything, but instead I prefer to carefully construct a situation that results in me getting my way without the other person acknowledging I'm getting my way. Or they see that I'm getting my way but they don't think I'm doing it on purpose. Just a side note I don't do drugs or smoke, I do drink occasionally but prefer to get tipsy rather than full on drunk.

My parents have mentioned it to me before that I'm a very suggestive person, I'll often get my younger sister into trouble in the house by tricking her into doing something which I know my parents will get mad at her for, although she is only 11 and it's not much of a challenge so I've not really been doing this recently.

I guess I just enjoy knowing that I have the ability to instil ideas or thoughts into other people whether it be family, friends, teachers, or strangers that I only just met. Knowing that a person acts because of what I have constructed in their minds. I am off to university next year and wonder what my life will be like there...

I've been reading about psychopathy recently and I have a lot of the symptoms but I am aware of what I'm doing... Maybe not right there and then but as the process goes on I realise that everything I'm telling this person is the opposite of what might be beneficial to them. Does this mean I'm not a psychopath? As psychopaths do not know what they're doing is wrong?

I know this is a pretty lengthy post but I just wanted to ask, if I do consult a psychiatrist, will they tell my parents that I have spoken with them? Or can I request my parents not be told anything between me and a psychiatrist?

Thanks for reading cheesygrin

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I doubt whether anyone on here is qualified to say whether or not you're a psychopath, though I'm guessing you're not. Most of us manipulate those around us to some degree on occasion. It's mainly a question of degree.

You've clearly got a lot of insight into the workings of your own mind, which is a very good sign. It does sound, however, as if it would be useful to have a few talks with a professional about this. Is there a school counsellor you could start with?

As to whether your parents would be brought in, this depends on a number of factors, including your age and where you are in the world. In most countries you'd be treated as an adult from the age of 18, and in some countries doctors maintain confidentiality even with younger people.

In the meantime, congratulations on your ability to be honest with yourself. Since you're aware of your manipulative impulses, have you thought about how to bring them under control?

• Posted

Why would I want to bring them under control? Even if I could I wouldn't because I enjoy my life too much to change such a good aspect of it. Like I said it's not like I'm causing physical harm.

Imagine if someone told you to change an aspect of your life that you thoroughly enjoyed. You wouldn't want to do that would you? You could of course but then you'd just be an animal... of which people dictate how you can act.

That's not for me, dunno about you.

• Posted

Why did you post, then? And why did you ask about seeing a psychiatrist?
    • Posted

Because I am of the age now where I acknowledge that the people around me, my family and friends etc do not do the same things as me and as such I know that I am different to others.

I asked about seeing a psychiatrist so I can find out why I am different to others. I never said anything about changing. It at some point my life becomes a challenge due to the things I am doing then I might go and see someone but no need to throw out a perfectly good piece of fruit is there?

• Posted

You could be sociopathic, I know there's quite a difference with those but you should take a look into it. Personally I don't think you are a psychopath, you don't seem to have the right traits for it. 

If you're 18 (I think) then going to doctors/psychiatrist will be confidential, I think it is anyway actually I'm not to sure.

Good luck!

• Posted

I think sociopaths are very violent and have often have uncontrollable rage and act on the spare of the moment etc. I'm not too sure I'll look into the symptoms a bit more.

Cheers smile

• Posted

Also, I'm quite the maniplulative type too, and I enjoy it. I think we all do it, just some more than others. I just like to do it to see reactions and how people react to certain things. I like figuring out people's minds and how everyone's different. But I've never gone to the extent of ruining relationships or anything. Maybe there's another name for it which isn't as severe as a psychopath. But you should deffinitely talk to someone about it.
    • Posted

Finally someone who understands it. Have you spoken to anyone about your "problems"?

It's pretty invigorating when you know you're inside someone's head isn't it? Sounds a bit stupid but for me it's like a super power and I am testing my abilities to see how good they are lol.

• Posted

Trust me I understand, it's like an addiction isn't it? I make myself try not to enjoy doing it but I know deep down I like it. I'm open about it to an extent but it's not something you can really say to anyone. No one would really understand it and then there's the "you're f*cked up" type response. I do it secretly so then there's no problems. It's not something I'm worried about though, sometimes I feel a little crazy but that's who I am. But it's nice to talk to someone who gets it haha
    • Posted

You'll either end up serving a life sentence or as the CEO of a major bank!razz
    • Posted

Haha I'm going to study politics or economics at university so who knows :P

I'll pass on the prison sentence though!

• Posted

Oh, I understand haha. I try make myself not enjoy it but I know deep down I like it. It's like an addiction really, and you can get carried away. I haven't spoken to anyone about it really, it's not something you can bring up without them thinking you're a bit messed up. I suppose it does make you seem a little crazy sometimes, but hey ho that's just the way I am. At one point I was going to do a book, and write the responses and who they were and what I could do next. It's pretty bad actually but I never got round to it, I suppose I don't do it as much anymore. Well, I could do it without thinking about it sometimes. 
    • Posted

It's actually not a bad idea. You could sell it and make some money smile

Does the desire to manipulate people and stuff wear off with age? I'm 17 at the moment.

• Posted

It has for me, I use to do it loads. Now it's just little tests here and there more to me being paranoid and testing people to see if they're genuine or if they're up to something so I try catch them out. I suppose you can't help it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.