Does a spider angioma go away on its own? [w/ pictures]

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 19-year-old male with no history of alcohol abuse or liver problems. In February 2016, I developed a red spot on my cheek overnight, for reasons unknown (although I did have extremely dry skin at the time which was caused by hairspray). I later figured out that it was a spider angioma. It has a central, raised spot that is redder than the rest of the site and, when it is blanched, the angioma refills from the centre. From reading online about it, I'm not sure how long I will have it for. Some websites say it will resolve spontaneously after a few years, but others say it is permanent. I'm quite conscious of it as it is fairly prominent, especially in the morning when it is redder, and have started using Eucerin Redness Relief to cover it. I'm looking in to getting laser treatment however I'm quite concerned about possible side effects, such as scarring, as well the risk of the angioma returning. I don't want to go through with laser treatment if the angioma will heal on its own in 6-12 months time. 

Do you think it will heal up on its own, or is laser treatment my only choice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your pics are not too clear to identify a spider angioma but from your description of it refilling from the centre that could be correct. Laser treatment works well and doesnt usually leave any scar in skilled hands. They can recur in a few cases,say 25% . True angiomas dont usually heal up on their own.

If you are in UK its best to get it diagnosed properly by a GP before laser treatment,which is not available on the NHS. Ideally use a dermatologist who is skilled with laser treatment. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It is hard to get a good picture of it with my phone's camera but when looking at it closely you can see small veins emanating from a central, slightly raised spot. I'm not 100% sure it is a spider angioma, but it has all the symptoms of one. I'm going to a dermatologist in a month or so and I will ask them what it is then.

Given it hasn't healed at all after 16 months, I agree with you that it probably won't go away on its own. I think I am going to get laser treatment for it sometime in August or September because it saps my confidence massively. I avoid activities like swimming or camping because it is really big and bright red without any Redness Relief covering it.

Given the size and color of it in the photos I uploaded, do you think it will take more than one treatment to get rid of it?

• Posted

Usually no more than 2 treatments,but you would have to be guided by whoever does the laser surgery.   The centre of the angioma is targeted to seal up the leakage of blood. You may have a tiny scar afterwards but usually they fade. Would be good to see the results of your laser surgery on here. Good luck James.
    • Posted

Thank you for your help. I will report back after my first (and hopefully last!) treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.