Does a sprained, strained or torn muscle always hurt on activation?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey, I have been having quite severe pain in my lower left abdomen. Went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with an inflammation of my abdominal muscles due to a tear or sprain. Since I am pretty sure his diagnose is wrong and I want to go to another doctor for a second opinion, I want to make sure this is not it. So, for example, since I have a possibly torn/sprained/inflammation of my abdominal muscles, would it be normal to hurt when doing situps, planks etc.? Meaning when the muscle is activated? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Of course, would you be surprised to have pain on spraining an ankle, no of course you wouldn't because strain's and sprains hurt when you try to walk on them or use them.

What did your doctor recommend, rest probably and your obviously not doing what they told you or you wouldn't be asking does it hurt when you use it.

I would have some faith in your GP and give it time to heal.

• Posted

I think you are judging too quickly, this has been dragging on for more than half a year and I don´t think "rest" will help. The area I have pain in actually doesn´t hurt doing any kind of exercise, but it hurts when sitting, laying - RESTING

• Posted

Quote from your original post

So, for example, since I have a possibly torn/sprained/inflammation of my abdominal muscles, would it be normal to hurt when doing situps, planks etc.? Meaning when the muscle is activated?

This to me says it hurts when you do exercise, I suggest you go back to see your GP or pay private if you think it's not being diagnosed correctly.

Also a strain can hurt for many months if you continue to it use it.

• Posted

In my original post, I am stating of question stating if it would be normal to hurt? Because it doesn´t hurt, that is the whole problem I am trying to figure out. It hurts when standing, laying down; but it doesn´t hurt specifically when I for example do a situp (when, from my understanding, it should hurt the most)

• Posted

Then I would return to your GP and tell them you think they have their diagnoses wrong, all the best
    • Posted

I am planning on returning to my GP, though I want to know if my mindset is right. Should the muscle hurt more upon activation then it does when resting?
    • Posted

I think what's happening with you is that your still pushing it and then it's hurting when you relax which can happen, sometimes we push through the pain, no one on here can diagnose you because it's guess work from what you are saying, see your GP and he will decide for you, what do you think it is

• Posted

But the thing is, it always hurts. Not only after exercising. It hurts in the morning when I wake up and it hurts the same after exercising... anyway, thanks for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.