Does abalation actually work |||

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have read quite a lot on the above subject and in the past 10 days have spoken with people who have had the procedure, I am yet to find any one who it worked for and on this site have heard that some people have had the procedure 4 / 5 times.

I am due for an Abalation in the very near future and do not feel convinced that it is the answer.

So my question is does it work, how many times dit it take and if you opted out how have you got on !!!

Regards Ken.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This should be interesting. I opted out being a total coward, so have changed my diet radically and am managing on 2 verapamil a day. For the month of June not one episode. I have bought sea buckthorn oil, + magnesium glycinate (which are so huge I grind them up and take a spoonful on my salad daily)- these are supposed to help with heart conditions so maybe it has ? I do not rush about so much, but I do ride daily. the bumping about cured my previous episodes, that went up to 230 on my gadget . . . 
  • Posted

Hello Ken,

I had one ablation procedure about two years ago and have not had a single SVT episode since. No theatre procedure is pleasant I suppose, but I found mine less distressing than one SVT episode of similar duration. It was truly life-changing for me. If your doctor believes you are suitable, then I would strongly recommend it to you. All the best, Ciaran.

• Posted

Hi Maxine,

The succes rate of ablation depends on the type of SVT you have.

For AVNRT the succes rates are quite high. For AF it's a bit more complicated.

When the attacks become invalidating it could be a good option to get rid of the " s**t " forgood.

Succes

• Posted

Hi guys,

Thank you for the information. I believe my situation is a little bit different from most people on here in that firstly I have no symptons what so ever but only found out by chance as I volunteered for a Cardiac trial and they found from ECGs and Blood tests that I have Atrial Flutter, an irregular heart beat.

I am awaiting as previouisy stated an Abalation, which my GP thinks I should have, but only one and not more if the first one does not work.

With no symptons you can understand why I am not completely conviniced that I should have the procedure.

• Posted

Hi maxine

i know your post is a few months old now but thought I would write. I had runs of ectopic beats that were quite debilitating 9 years ago. Every time I went out I needed a chaperone as I always felt that I would faint. Anyway to cut a long story short I had an ablation carried out and yes it was a success. In the past 9 years I have only had one episode of af due to a heavy night out drinking. Was given flecanide and this out me back not normal rhythm. I have had a few episodes lately but this has been triggered by a virus and then getting pericarditis. Good luck. Success is out there. Please let me know how you get or got on. 

• Posted

Good morning guys,

I have already  given a complete run down of my ablation some where else on this site.

i had it 5 weeeks ago, it took just over an hour to do and as usual I had no cedation which i would not advise most people to do.

It was a success and I went home 3 3/4 hours later as one has to make certain that there is not a bleed afterwards.

I am on warfarin for 3 months before a check up with the cardiologist to confirm that my heart is back in sinus rhythm. 

Yesterday for the first time at my Boots chemist my INR was bang on at 2.5, so I don't have to have another blod test for 4 weeks and hopefully one more after that and then I am finished.

Ask any questions you want to about the ablation and I will answer them.

Good luck every one.

Ken..

• Posted

I understand what you mean about the sedation. It's like a herd of elephants sitting in your chest at once. So pleased all went so well. 
  • Posted

Hi caroline, You described the pain well .60 watts of shock treatment.

I cannot imagine what it's like to be electrocuted.

Have a good pain free weekend Ken.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.