Does Acid Reflux give stabbing pain in chest?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I would be so very grateful for anyone's experience of having a constant stabbing pain in the chest, near the breastbone. It feels like barbed wire and at night its like something is stuck in my throat. I am suffering with a foul taste in my mouth, a little reflux, gnawing feeling in stomach and pain like a rod along my front of my tummy.

I have been having this for 2 months now and currently waiting for an urgent endoscope to see what it is. (Been waiting 4 weeks) I have been back and forth to docs, NHS 24 calls, and A&E with severe griping upper tummy pain. So far I have been diagnosed with - Costochondritis - was given high dose of 75mg x2 diclofenec and Sopadol (this only made the pain worse) so i had to stop taking the anti-inflammatories, as the pain had moved into my upper stomach after taking these anti-inflammatories, the doc thought perhaps I had an ulcer and possible hiatus hernia??

Then on having to go to A&E early hours of the morning, (one week ago) I couldn't breathe, felt sick and could only taste bile, the pain in my upper tummy was absolutely excruciating like it had been cut open, my chest area felt on fire. After blood tests came back negative and an ECG, the doc there said it was likely to be gastritis and its very common, read up on it and have bland meals till the endoscope.

I was then sent home with an increase in Lansoprazole 30mg to twice daily. (they have took me off my ompeprazole) I have completely changed my diet to a bland rice, chicken, bananas, very small portions and only drinking water and chamomile tea, I am also taking manuka honey and priobiotic tablets. One week on the pain in upper stomach has eased a lot but this barbed wire nipping feeling rarely leaves my chest area. Feels like something is stuck there.

I have tried to read as much as possible on gastritis, acid reflux but there never seems to mention much about this stabbing pain and I'm worried sick.

I am female, 52 years of age, 5ft 4" and 10.7 st. (weight is now less than this as i've hardly ate this past 2 weeks) I suffer from IBS and was on Omperazole once a day and Mebeverine (3 times a day) my diet was not that horrific, having IBS (D) i was always quite good in what i ate i my only down fall was a bag of crisps daily and occasional chocolate bar. Alcohol was some wine at weekends. I am a very energetic person and always on the go. However, I am a constant worrier and just left a very stressful job. So that has maybe a lot to do with it.

I've trawled through so many Google diagnoses i have had to stop as it only gets grim.

The day that this pain all started, I hurt myself drinking a large glass of water, it seemed to get stuck like down the wrong way and it really hurt my chest, i had to spit the water out.

I would be grateful for any similar experiences. Thank you in advance,

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Elaine.

I am having a very similar experience with what i believe to be GERT (acid reflux/heartburn). Crazy thing is, I am almost certain that I caused it from 'choking' on water that went down the wrong tube as well. I vividly remember choking hard and spitting everywhere...so crazy. It's only been 5 days since the incident and im taking an OTC generic acid reducer before meals. Which helps a bit. Im trying to eliminate lying down a bunch.

I am 33 and have never had heartburn in my life until now. It is crazy annoying and disruptive. There are times when it will come and go every 5 seconds! To me it feels like someone is squeezing my heart or stabbing it with a dull knife. I thought I was having heart issues, but I started to realize every time i got that pain, my stomach was gurgling or feeling funny.

I've also read a million other posts online and read up on GERT a lot. I know stress and anxiety can bring about a lot of complications as well. I've considered going through the notions of getting the heart scans and tests done. Not sure what an endoscope is. I hear there can be more serious complications with GERTs things such as Barretts esophagus - which can lead to cancer or something.

My thoughts are that when i choked on my water, i 'broke' (loosened up) my lower esophageal sphincter (the thing that prevents acid from leaving your stomach) and now I am getting the acid. I'd be curious to understand if there is a medical procedure to fix this. I would hate to just rely on medications for the rest of my life...

I'd be curious to see how you are feeling and how things are going for you now. Take care,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.