Does AF get worse?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with AF in February and I am on Apixaban and Bisopropol.    I feel fine,   nothing wrong with me......or is there?    Is this it?    Reading some of the stories on here some people have so many symptoms of being unwell but I am okay.    I was reading that about 7 people out of 100 have this so do many of them just carry on as usual I wonder.   I am always shattered in the late evenings but not sure if that`s because I had pneumonia in February or because I am 73.   I was never tired like this before I was diagnosed so can`t see it`s my age catching up with me.   Apart from tiredness and breathlessness on going upstairs I feel just the same as I always did.   i Suppose my biggest question is does AF get worse?    What are the chances of something bad happening?   What will the future hold as regards AF?    Anyone had any experience like mine?

Kathleen

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen,

?In 2007 I was put on Blood Pressure medication and statins. In Jan 2010 I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF, aged 65 following 2 years of palpitations which we could never get to the bottom of. In addition to my BP and Statins meds I was then put on Warfarin for life and 5 mg daily of Bisoprolol.. A little over a year after the AF hit I suspected that the onset was triggered by certain foods. I consulted a Nutritionist who carried out some basic tests, prescribed me some probiotics and recommended a gluten free, wheat free and oats free diet.

?While the diet took a while to work its way into my system I have now only had 1 AF event in a little over 3 years, and the trigger for that was sleeping on my left side one night, and apart from some chaotic electrical activity picked up on my handheld ECG device (not a Kardia), my heart rate hit 149 bpm. Whilst the electrical chaos stopped in about 4 to 5 hours the heart rate took another 21 hours to return to normal ( which for me with the Bisoprolol means around 62 to 67 bpm).

?I turn 74 this September. I am still active sometimes giving the Cornish South West Coastal path a work out, and I still work 30 hours (sometimes more) a week driving a shuttle bus in the tourist industry handling passengers baggage not much of it weighing less than 15 kgs. On average  the mix of work and being at home leads me to cover about 16 to 18  miles a week walking. And of course I still not just maintain my diet but have widened its scope to cover a whole range of other foods which upset my digestive system.

?My AF has not worsened for all this - in fact if it weren't for this activity and diet I think the AF would have worsened. No doubt.

?Yes, late evenings regardless of whether I've been working or not I still get the tiredness at times, but, not all the time. Often it is worse than others and my extremeties, hands and feet go icy cold and my heart rate drops to around 55 bpm and often it has dropped as low as 46 bpm. I don't panic just carry on with my own remedy, go to bed, hug a hot water bottle to my chest and have a mug of hot sweet coffee and sleep for several hours. Job done, I wake up, usually feeling shattered but everything back to normal. This event happens about 4 or 5 times a year and only ever when I am at home relaxing. Never when I am physically active.

?Now I have a personal theory about this tiredness - and its not scientifically or medically based whatsoever. My Echocardiogram originally showed my heart to be damaged at the onset of AF (the left Atria) so its a given that my heart is not pumping efficiently. Since AF hit my heart wants to naturally accelerate and beat faster and faster - the Bisoprolol (or indeed any other beta blocker) is deliberately slowing the heart down or keeping it in check. So, there is this tug of war going on - the heart wanting to gallop and the drugs forcing to it stay normal and this contest/conflict is causing the tiredness and sometimes the beta blocker just gets carried away and forces the heart rate to go too low. (I should say - I have no other cardiac issues).

?So, there ! that's my take on it .......... but of course our bodies are aging so that must contribute something to the tiredness too.

?John

• Posted

Hello John,

What you say really makes sense.   We are very similar in age, you being just three months older than I am.

You are leading a really good life,  working,  exercising, trying to eat sensibly,  clearly enjoying your life,   wonderful.    Probably not much different a life than if you had no heart problems.     Long may this continue but your positive attitude will make all the difference too.   Well done and thanks for replying.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

Age 69, still working and going to gym regularly.  Was in Afib 4 of last 7 months. Only symptom was shortness of breath. When climbing stairs or bending over to pick up something.  There were a few times I didn't think I would catch my breath.  

Have a defibrillator/pacemaker that records these events. Other than SOB, I haven't had any problems.  Had to have Electrical Cardioversion twice (Nov & Feb). First one lasted a month and 2nd at 2 months so far.  

• Posted

Hello,

You are looking after yourself and seem to be  doing very well.     Hope you don`t mind my asking but what do you mean you were in Afib 4 of last 7 months?   What does it really mean to be `in fib`?    Does it mean your heart thumping?

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

I have a 20 year heart issue history starting with bypass surgery 1998 at which time they discovered scar tissue indicating previous heart attack that I was not aware of.  In 2004 a piece of plaque broke off right coronary artery causing 2nd heart attack and the need for 2 stents.  Rocked along for next 10 years with no problems until "near fainting" symptoms started.  Was diagnosed with Ventricular Tachycardia and received a Defibrillator/Pacemaker in 2014.  It has shocked and saved me from Cardiac Arrest once 3 years ago. 

Last fall, I started getting short of breath with minor exertion....like rolling garbage can to street, climbing stairs, etc.  Having the defibrillator is the perfect tool to detect heart rhythm problems. 

A follow up cardio appt. revealed Afib....they are able to read stored memory on the device and tell my current status, when it started, etc.  It was the first time I was aware of Afib.    

Other than the Shortness Of Breath I have no other symptoms.  The 4 of 7 months was actual time....with two Electrical Cardioversions in between.  I read others comments it's triggered by eating certain foods, occurs only in the mornings, etc. while mine has tended to come & stay.  Hope this better explains. 

• Posted

What is “SOB” ? Surely not what it’s commonly known to be ??😂

• Posted

SOB -- sort of breath.  and everything I've learned is that the longer you have afib, the better your chances are of it getting worse and your current meds will eventually stop working.

• Posted

Wow. That makes me a little sad! I’m determined that won’t happen to me. Too many others have success so I won’t believe that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.