Does alcohol aggravate your BPH symptoms?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have read that alcohol and BPH don't mix.  I generally have a cocktail before dinner or a beer or a glass of wine with dinner.  I do find that if I have both, my voiding for the rest of the evening is not as good (more frequent and a weaker stream) as when I only have a single drink.  I don't really notice much difference between no drink or one but definitely notice a difference between 1 and 2.  I am on doxazosin which I take at bedtime.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm not sure that this will be of any value to you or not, but I am a newly diagnosed "high-risk" prostate cancer patient, and this observation of yours about alcohol aggravating the prostate gland (whether cancerous or not), is of keen interest to me. I am a 66-year old life-long low-to-moderate beer drinker (no other forms of alcohol, ever!), and I quit consuming alcohol altogether about 9-months ago. However, I too have noticed some of these same, reasonably consistent, urination anomalies that appear to be associated with beer consumption, and significantly, they seem to be more pronounced for me when consuming the heavier so-called "micro-brews". Further, I specifically asked my urologist at the time of my biopsy and cancer diagnosis, if there were any known or published links (anywhere in the world!), between prostate cancer and alcohol use or abuse, and without hesitation, his answer was a resounding "No"!

• Posted

Hi Reg,

It's not about prostate cancer, it's about prostate irritation. Alcohol and caffeine cause prostate irritation, and can aggravate BPH symptoms.

Neal Pros

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.