Does alcohol stop antidepressants from working??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, ive been on 50mg of setraline for 5 months. On new years eve i had alot to drink, i even blacked out. Ever since then it feels as if my medication has stopped working, i'm extremely worried because the medication was making me feel so good. Why is it taking so long for the antidepressant to kick back in? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael. I don't know why the drinking would stop the meds from working. Maybe you are expecting to have a high from the antidepressants like you felt from the alcohol. I don't know. Maybe go talk to your doctor. I won't mention the obvious that Alcohol and meds do not mix. Diane. 

• Posted

Your mediation would not stop working longer than a day or so after your bender.  This would be because alcohol itself is a depressant and if your drinking a lot you would  flush it out of your system quicker.

It is a coincidence you no longer feel they are helping you the same and I think you should go back to your doctors as an increase may be required.  50 mg is the lowest dose of sertraline and I am on 200 now which is the highest one.  x

• Posted

Ive drank a few times on the medication and it feels like it completely stops working every time, and sometimes it takes almost a month to kick back in sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.