Does all alcohol trigger a heart arrhythmia or are some alcohols worse than others? A bit freakedout

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had 2 arrhythmia episodes coincide with me drinking red, s****y wine from this store and a glass of Irish whiskey. On another day when I drank beer, I was okay.

I should also mention that the two times I drank the harder stuff and had a triggered irregular heartbeat, I was anxious, emotionally stressed and so drained, exhausted those days and still pushed my body and mind.

I'd like to have a drink as its Christmas so wondering if beer is okay or lower alcohol percentage based drinks or are all alcoholic drinks equal?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I find that alcohol can trigger my arrhythmias, I usually only drink red wine now. The worst culprits used to be alcohol with sugar or caffeine, so vodka and redbull was the worst, sweet cocktails, and spirits non diet mixers or those terrible blue drinks like WKD! If I have enough red wine it will definitely affect my heart though. So choose low alcohol drinks without sugar or caffeine if you want a drink, just don't have too much. Champagne and prosecco can be bad as well.

• Posted

I don't think it's the quality so much but who knows, the better quality certainly taste better and it wont help much if you are anxious or stressed - in fact it makes me worse when in those states!

To be honest it is best to avoid alcohol - especially if you are taking lots of medication.....

I really enjoy a few glasses of wine with my evening meal and quite a few on social occasions BUT I have been told to cut down considerably or pay the consequences of increasing my heart rate - as I am in AF and it's full on, constant!

My cardioversion failed after 10 days in November and I am now waiting for an Ablation in January and have been told to cut down on all caffeine / stimulants / alcohol to help prevent my heart racing too much!

As its Christmas I will probably have some champagne each morning, as we traditionally do, and wine with my meal on both days but that will be my limit as it makes me feel fairly unwell now. Also it affects your blood pressure too - which all adds to the mix!

Doc has said I can have a few glasses but don't go mad !

I am not sure of your heart problems but if you are having just a few intermittent episodes, alcohol will make it worse and you could find yourself developing a more serious condition - so please take care and I wish you a Happy Christmas and a healthier 2020! xxx

• Posted

When I asked my EP about alcohol, he said "don't drink everyday and don't overdo it". So far so good, even though I have done both on occasion. We are all different. Listen to your body as well as your EP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.