Does amitrptyline work for headaches

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Ive had a headache for the last 6 months and Ive had a brain mri which theyve ruled out a brain tumour, I have now been started on 10mg on amitriptyline and wanted to know how long it will take before the pain goes away and when's the best time to take them?

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are supposed to take them at night before you go to bed as they make you sleepy. I took them for 2 weeks and didn't get along with them. I'm trying without them now and just putting up with the headaches. I used to take propranolol, they really work.
    • Posted

Hey, yep I've tried propanalol and I think they just made my headaches worse, hopefully this amitriptyline works.

Thanks 👍

• Posted

definitely take at least an hour before bed. hopefully the pain will settle down in a week or two if nothing by then i would go back to gp smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.