Does Amlodipine cause hair loss in women?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi... my name is Yvette and I am a 45 year old female...i have been taking Azor for about 10 years.. i noticed that my hair was falling out during this time.. My hair is so thin right now that i can not wear it down loose because all you can see is scalp... its so embarrassing....sometime during these past 10 years my insurance no longer covered Azor... instead i have been taking the generic amlodipine olmesartan..I have been researching online all the possibilities of why i was losing my hair.. i have lost almost all of my crown area..Its terrible and it makes me feel really depressed...i was told that i had female pattern hair loss..ive gotten injections on my scalp and told to use rogaine... i just recently went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me finasteride... i still have yet to see any improvement..my doctor has also slowly weaned me off from amlodipine because i told him that i read that many women experienced hair loss from this medicaton..It has now been 1 week since i stopped taking amlodipine... I am hopefull that my hair will begin to grow back... My experience with hair loss has been very demoralizing and it has done a number to my self esteem.. i often cry to myself because it makes me extremely sad... Has anyone experienced anything similar while on this medication? Did your hair grow back?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Yvette, I know this post is from 6 months ago but I too have lost hair due to this drug. I am a 40 year old female. Its been 3 months since I stopped taking it and I am still losing hair. I was wondering if you've seen any improvement?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.