Does Ankylosing feel like Torso is "swollen" on the inside?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone - hope you are all ok.

Does AS feel like your back is swollen on the inside of your body - mainly like your spine is swollen.

When I have flare ups I have pain in the mid back which can be terrible and stiffness which is awful and I feel like I need to stretch my back backwards - that is arch my back backwards and I can feel the stiffness and the muscles in pain/inflammation as if they are cramped and extremely tight and I'm stretching them out.

But I also have bloated feeling in my abdomen at the front which can be very bad at times and a feeling like I'm retaining water- not sure how else to describe it. It feels sometimes as if there is a swollen feeling up from my belly-button up to my throat - but it is not at the surface - it feels as though it is deep inside as if my spine and stomach/oesophagus are extremely swollen leaving no room almost in my abdominal and chest/rib cavity area.

Does anyone else have this??

Thank you.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have the same issues. I have blood work out now getting tested for almost everything with the exception of AS, if it all come back negative I'll ask for this test.

• Posted

Hello - I hope you have some good news with your tests.

I am also being tested now - just waiting blood tests and then looking at Sacroiliac xray and mri scan.

I don't think bloods will show any inflammation in my blood as I have had them done before and they showed nothing.

Will the HLA-B27 be positive? - i am not sure but I have a feeling it will be negative. I'm not sure why I think that but I just have this feeling.

My pains have been MUCH worse in the past when I was heavier, getting less exercise, and my GERD was much worse. Since lockdown, more exercise seems to have helped a lot as has more prolonged periods of eating healthily. I definitely feel more exercise and my diet impacts things long term.

When I am bad I feel yes I definitely must have AS but then on good days I feel I am able to handle it better and feel I can't possibly have AS. It is VERY confusing.

I have recently taken more painkillers and they seem to help - I may test this theory going forward while I await these tests.

The bloated feeling seems to come on when I have the thoracic back pain - I'm not sure how that is possible.?

• Posted

i get this. i font have a dx yet, but AS has been mentioned. I'm trying to get into a rheumatologist. it's been going on for years. it's blamed on my endometriosis, fibro, anxiety, and gastric surgery. now, it seems, as though I might get to explore other conditions. I was silenced for too long and had to get a cardiologist to make a referral .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.